Tools
Reply to Post

Where to buy new movment "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi All,

I am a stranger over here is this section I have a old clock nothing at all special, a 50s Enfield made in UK mantle clock 8 day pendulum with a gong hour strike, it belonged to my grandfather and it’s finally all over the place in timing, the cost of shipping & repair I think far exceeds the value of a new movement and I am only geared up to service watches to 3" here. (I take it I measure distance from center to windings, winding to winding, and diameter of hand centers) I remember seeing a simple movement in Larose for about $50 but they have long since gone, where would be the best place to get a new module? I would like to retain a mechanical movement if possible all I can seem to find online are clock kits.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi, Chris. I'm happy to provied some help. Yes, I too was sorry to see La Rosa go the way of the corner grocery store that was closed down when Walmart showed up.

I suggest trying Merritts.com or clockit.com. Both companies will send you a catalog and both companies offer new mechanical movements that will hopefully fit your clock. While Clockit leans more towards kits and battery powered movements, Merritts offers more parts and mechanical movements at fair prices. You'll find dials and clock hands to help finish your project. You can also reach Merritts at 610-689-9541 during normal M-F business hours.

Best of luck with your clock project.

Glenn

Posts: 11 | Location: Saline, Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Glenn,

Thats exaclty the place I was looking for.
I remember when Larose was going they had a movement with 9 bells & multiple tunes looked so nice could see it in a glass case setup, wasn’t cheap but I always fancied buying the bits and making a nice clock for my workshop, maybe oneday.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Chris, you might also give Timesavers and Empire a try also. They are both very reliable companys. Oh yes, I forgot Butterfields in Muscatine,Ia. also. He handles lots of movements.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Bill have bookmarked two could not find a web site for butterfields do they have one?.

posted
Chris, it's 'butterworth clocks'
http://www.butterworthclocks.com/
Mike C.
aka
clock whisperer

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks Mike for correcting my mistake. Also you might need a Id and password for Butterworth. You can call them for that.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
It's "butterworth". password also is "butterworth"

Thumbz

Posts: 8 | Location: Queens, New York in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks guys I got in