• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identifying many clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have approximately 500 clocks to identify that came from my father. He repaired most of them and now I need to find a way to better identify them besides the name on the case or dial. Most are alarm clocks but I have mantel, wall, alarm, cuckoo and others. I have some that only say where they were made and some that say nothing. I am a novice at clocks and any help, websites, identifying books or other that I can get would be helpful. The ultimate goal is to sell them.

Craig Muth

Posts: 5 | Location: Manassas, Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2013
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome aboard IHC185 Craig, I'm not a clock person, so I can't help you identify your clocks. However, I will advise you to take your time if your intention is to sell any of them. Make sure you do your homework and get the facts straight.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
there are some books on clocks like price guide to clocks on ebay ,amazon your local library might have one as well and other books that might help you.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Craig, welcome to IHC185. You might not know it yet,but this is an unbelievable group of people. I say that because, I'm new myself, and I can attest firsthand to the many kind and sincere members in this group who have been forthright in my aid. My noobie suggestion to you is, take it slow. Learn about all those items you have, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The comprehensive knowledge sum total of the members of this group is unparalleled anywhere. Honest Engine! Good luck to you.

Posts: 29 | Location: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The first clocks I would try to identify are any wall hanging clocks that have a second hand. These are true Regulator clocks and where use in Railroad stations and or Watchmakers repair shops. If you have any of them. Then take a photo of those and post a photo on IHC. It is a little difficult especial if your camera has a lot of mega pixels. The problem in identify clocks , watches or any things is knowing where to start. This is where I would start.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thanks to all of you and I will probably have many questions. I have pictures of all of them and the maker, where I could find them. The ones that I couldn't find the maker of, after some research, am beginning to look at the movement to find the name.
I will check the library and online as suggested here. I have found some online sites that have been very helpful already but I have some clocks that are not shown.
As I find clocks that I can't identify, I will post pictures, etc here.

Craig Muth

Posts: 5 | Location: Manassas, Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Craig,
Show us some pictures. I'd love to see what you have in your collection.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Yup, post some pictures, many of the members here can aid with identity.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
There are so many different and interesting clocks, I don't know where to start.
Here is one that I am working on now.

Craig Muth

E. Ingraham

posted
Here is one that I haven't started on yet. All I know about it is it is a Seth Thomas.

Craig Muth

posted
This one has no name and I believe that the movement is wrong, but it works. The pendulum is very short and can't be seen in the picture.

Craig Muth