Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fun Clocks! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The fun watch thread reminded me of some of the clocks I have. Just for fun. Here are a couple of them. I showed you mine, let's see yours.

flowercl.jpg

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
And another

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One more

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of Sparky Ann Elizabeth Riddle
posted

Here's my backwards running "Goofy" clock...

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Ann & Tom, they are some neet looking clocks

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is another one based on the work of Salvador Dali.

Tom

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...nice 'pieces Tom!...nice library too!...see you at the GLR on the 11th... Wink

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Here's my entry in the Fun Clock category. I had forgotten about Charlie T. he's been in his box in the basement for a long time.

A late 1960's copy of the New Haven flying pendulum clock from around 1900. Charlie Terwiliger sold these as well as reproductions of mouse clocks and some others.

Charlie T

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Tom,
Love your fun clocks! Thanks for sharing.

Others with fun clocks you may want to share with us? It's Time For Fun!!!!! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
I have only one fun clock i will try to post it soon.It is a common clock but still fun. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The model name for John's flying pendulum clock is the "Ignatz". They are quite fun to watch, and to use for timekeeping if you don't have to be anywhere on time.

Tom

posted
Queen's Carriage Clock. Made by the United Clock Company in the 1950's. Commonly called carnival clocks because they were offered as the unobtainable prizes by "carnies". The United Clock company evolved from The Sessions Clock company which came from The EN Welch Clock Company.

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
The next picture is another United Clock. The train has a light in the operator's cabin that shows through the red lens.

posted
Another United Clock--This clock has two plastic cylinders. The outside cylinder has seaweed and rocks, the inner revolves and has fish. When backlit, one is supposed to get the illusion of the fish swimming by. Kind of tasteless, but amusing.

posted
This clock is called an ATO Clock (The idea came from a French guy named Hatot) The clock is electric with a battery hidden in the base. There is a switching coil controlling a magnet that is around the pendulum. The alternating polarity pushes the pendulum. With this clock, the clock is actually run by the pendulum in stead of the opposite.

posted
This clock is called a Gravity Clock. The clock progresses down a linear gear and is powered by the weight of the movement. To wind, one lifts the clock movement (with it's surrounding cast iron weight) to the top of the linear gear. The pendulum runs in front of the clock dial. Run duration is 30 hours.

posted
Jefferson Golden Hour Clock. This is a very common version of a Jefferson mystery clock. There is a gear ring attached to the outer edge of the glass. A motor in the clock base revolves the glass. The minute hand is attached to the glass. The hour hand is run by a gear train that is dependant on gravity and the revolution of the glass. These clocks were given as premiums with refrigerators and ranges in the early 1950's All of those refigerators and ranges are gone, but we still have lots of these clocks. This particular clock was built in 1953 and the motor gave out just about a year ago.

posted
This "clock" is actually part of a barometer. The clock works rotates the drum on the left hand side of the case. The arm that crosses from the right moves up and down with changes in barametric pressure. There used to be a pen on the end of this arm that drew a line on the revolving drum. I think the paper on the drum was divided into hours, with the drum rotating once every 24 hours. The scribbled line on the drum paper gave an indication of the barametric pressure at any time of the day.

posted
Globe Clock Company. I have heard of these called baseball clocks, globe clocks and a few other names. This one was made by the Globe Clock Company. The pendulum has quite a wide swing and the clock is pretty active. The pendulum bob has been replaced by a fishing weight on this one and it slides down with the vibration of the clock. That makes this particular clock run slower and slower as the day progresses. Someday I will build or find a proper pendulum bob. This is also a 30 hour clock.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dick,
You have added the upscale section to the "Fun Clocks" thread. Those are great. I have always liked the clean deco look of the Golden Hour. The gravity clock is fun, I have worked on a couple of those. Great additions to the thread!! Thanks for posting.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is a MUST entry in the fun clocks category! A classic!

Tom

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Every One of these clocks are GREAT!

I just LOVE seeing all these wonderful clocks.

OUTSTANDING!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004