Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waterbury movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Yesterday I saw a Waterbury camelback clock, with an unusual movement. It had a chime with a seperate rear plate added to the movement just for the chime. At first I thought it was a Sonora chime, but it wasn't. Was this just the way some of the first ones with chimes were made? I didn't get a real good look, and it was kind of rough. I believe it may have had 6 or 7 chime rods. It was a very ugly mahogany case. The rear half of the movement was entirely for the chimes. The winding arbors were in the normal 4, 6 and 8 positions, and there was a place on the dial to set it for silent or chime, by using a smaller key. It would not chime so I don't know if it played Westminster or another tune, but I think it had more rods than normal for Westminster (unless it maybe counted the hour on 3 rods?).

Sorry, no pictures taken.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Are you sure it had three winding arbors? I think Waterbury had one two train movement that had chimes built in.It was really a combination strike and chime train.I had one that was worked(?) on by the owner. It took for ever and a good reading of "Coleman" to get it going right.
Good luck.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Julian,
From the dial, it looked just like any other clock with westminster chimes, with three winding arbors. The front part of the movement looked like it was made like any regular non-chiming clock with time and strike trains. The third (center arbor) spring and all chime related parts were in another layer of the movement on the back by itself. The clock had a front, middle, and rear plate. Basically it looked like an 8 day clock movement, that they added this extra plate just for the chimes. I had never seen one like it before. I would guess the clock was from the 1920s or 1930s judging by the styling of the case. I had seen this clock before and thought it was a Sonora chimes, but it isn't.

Andy

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is a picture of a similar Waterbury movement. It is from this one now on ebay (click here). The clock I saw did not look as nice as this one.

Andy

Waterbury

posted
That's not what I thought it was.
You can never tell what you find in an old American clock case.
good luck
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
I believe Sessions put out a two arbor Westminster chime mantle clock in the Twenties.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Intereseting clock Derek.
I have not seen one like that before.Might be a good one to try and get, a rarity.