• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Clock Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have had this clock for quite a few years now but really know nothing about it... I was hoping some of you could help out with some information... I always assumed it to be a deco era clock... Many Thanks

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
posted
Here's a shot of the back...

posted
hope this one posts better

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
John,
Is it mechanical, electric or battery? Looks like the back is screwed on (no place to wind it). Does the knob at top wind and set it?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
It's mechanical... The knob at the top winds and sets it...

posted
I have one of those, but not in the nice condition as John's clock is. Mine has a 37S, 8 day movement (car clock) movement in it.

Tom

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I believe that these are known as boudoir clocks or easel clocks (someone correct me if I have this wrong), and they came in a number of styles.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
The old boudoir clocks I have seen usually wind from the back. As Tom mentioned, I believe this is a car clock movement. I need to invest in a lot more clock ID books!

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Hello John,

Andy Krietzer is correct - this clock contains Waltham 37 size (7 jewel 8 day movement originally developed for car clocks containing 2 mainsprings). During the 1920's Waltham made an amazing variety of clocks with it: Half Size banjo clocks, miniature Pillar & Scroll, desk & boudoir clocks, travel clocks, wall clocks with mirrors.

They had a variety of winding configurations: bottom, back, top, side, and face. One problem was the long winding shaft into the movement could be sheared off and/or misconnect with the movement and would be difficult to repair.

Key repair tip: always replace both mainsprings if one breaks - putting a new mainspring with an old will probably cause the old one to break...

Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
A similar application of a car movement from Elgin can be seen HERE

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002