• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega 30 T2 movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been looking at several 1940 era Omega watches with the 30 T2 movement. Is this a caliber or just a model. Was this a high quality movement when it was made. Some of the watches have also been refered to as oversized watches any coments on this type of watch as to quality or price range. Bob

Rancher

Posts: 28 | Location: San Antonio, Texas USA | Registered: December 13, 2005
posted
Robert,

The Omega 30T2 is a movement caliber, used in a great many watches of the 1940s. This movement is likely responsible for much of Omega's reputation for quality and accuracy. The 30mm models were introduced in 1939, and found to be a highly adaptable base movement. Different versions were in production until 1963. The name derives from it's 30mm wide pillar plate. After 1949, Omega changed their movement nomenclature, and the same movements have three digit caliber numbers in the 260 and 280 ranges.

The standard 30T2 is a 15 jewel, manual wind movement with subseconds, but there are several variations (notably the 30T2RG variants) which bring the model up to chronometer status. There were also sweep seconds variants used in many military watches during World War Two. The British government ordered over 100,000 during the war, and a few found their way to the US Army.

Since the 30mm movement is larger than many of it's contemporaries (the closest Omega was the 26.5) it makes a bigger wristwatch, which is more attractive to contemporary collectors. That, coupled with the reputation for accuracy of the 30T2 movement, generally cause these watches to bring premium prices.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary thanks that is much more clear that what I had found to date. The watch I was looking at was ebay number 300078833565 which is in sold items. I really liked the dial. Is the dial original and are the hands right? Is the price in line with what I should expect to pay if I found another one? The price guides stopped well short of that amount and I could not find an example of the dial in any of the price guide pictures. Thanks Bob

Rancher

posted
Bob,

The watch in that auction is an exceptional one. The seller, Paul Hoyt, is well known and has a good reputation. I've had dealings with him in the past, and he certainly knows his Omega watches. His eBay listings are well presented and that helps to bring higher prices.

The dial on that watch had been refinished, as noted in the auction text. I believe the Omega signature to be of a more modern style, but that's a small issue. The dial itself is of an appropriate style to the age of the watch and is most likely the original one. The hands appear correct. The Omega crown is a replacement.

This is a large, solid gold Omega in excellent condition. It did sell for perhaps 20% more than I would have expected, but Omega is very hot right now. If it were 18K, you could probably double the price. I don't know that you'll ever see that exact dial offered again, but 30T2SC movements are not terribly rare, and gold cases are seen fairly regularly. I would still expect a minimum of $600 or $700, and everything that sets one apart from others (as with this watch, condition, case design and dial)will cause that to rise.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary I feel better and worse. I thought it was really a nice watch and would sell well. I bid about 10% more than you mentioned but not as much as I though it might take. Hope I can find another one that has a semilar dial. Thanks for your help. Bob

Rancher