• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilt Elgin Grade 670 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have worked on many of these 21 jewel grade 670's, but have never seen one with an all gilt finished movement. Another curious thing about this movement is the serial number. Most serial numbers on these movements I have seen start with a letter followed by numerals, this one is 50,000,089. I wonder if Elgin was celebrating it's 50,000,000 movement anniversary? Anybody ever seen one?

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Yes,

This is a 50th millionth anniversary edition. They came in a solid gold case, sterling silver dial, 18k markers, solid gold hands, in a 685g silver case, all yours for the measly sum of $500.

Someone scrapped the case.

What's your plans with it?

Posts: 27 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: November 06, 2014
posted
Thanks Michael. Sorry, I don't have the movement anymore , but would liked to have seen the watch before someone scrapped it.

posted
Ernest,

Thanks, sorry it took you so long to get an answer!

Heres the 50 Millionth Anniversary Lord Elgin (commonly called 50 MAN).

This is the Silver case they were sold in (note, this is displayed wrong, there is a cushion that sits on the top of the wood frame to hold the watch, you could convert it as shown to be a cigarette case)

I also lucked across a Money Clip with an engraving for the 50 millionth movement being manufacted date (I've assumed a few staff were given these but have no real source for it)

Paired with the Lord Elgin 50 Millionth

Can I ask your permission to reuse your image in my research ? I'm researching ENWC and have a list of about 20 known 50 MAN watches. Thanks in advance

Michael.

posted
Yes, you may use the image. By the way, that is a gorgeous Elgin wrist watch. Wonder how many were produced ?

posted
Thank you.

1,000 were produced. The first one was lent out and returned after 10 years, the second one was produced by the Lincoln plant and not sold for retail but I haven't found out exactly where it went.

So that leaves 998 being sold to retail, of which I can confirm 6 have been scrapped so far.

It was scarce to begin with but with all the scrapping, it's now a hard one to find.