Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Low-production Hamiltons "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
One of my customers emailed me this morning with a question: "why would Hamilton produce such small numbers of watches like the Glendale? It would seem impractical for a case manufacturer to tool up for such a small production run."

I thought that was an interesting and thought-provoking question, with complex and equally interesting answers that would be worth sharing here.

The key point is simply that Hamilton didn't necessarily set out with the intention of making such small numbers. the Glendale is an excellent case in point. Sales were notoriously tiny -- 97 yellow and 209 white. But Hamilton was swimming against the tide with that watch. It was catalogued as a men's watch, but in their announcement letter to wholesalers on October 23, 1929, they commented that "a large proportion of strap watches are bought by women, either to be used as gifts, or to be worn themselves for sport wear. The small appearance and rich carving of the Glendale will undoubtedly appeal to this feminine trade." Obviously they were trying to have it both ways, and ended up appealing to neither gender. They also acknowledged that the timing was bad: "We regret the necessity of introducing a new design and thus increasing an already oversold condition, but the GLENDALE is illustrated in both catalogues and sales manuals and consequently must be put on the market." Hardly an enthusiastic launch! That watch was doomed from the start.

A 1934 production note reported that 100 Glendale cases were returned for credit against an order of new Piping Rock cases, and another note states that "about 195 white and 140 yellow Glendale cases were sent to Schwab & Wuischpard to be melted, for which a small credit was allowed." There are other instances of cases being returned or recycled. One interesting example concerns the Spur -- 35 old cases were "remodeled" to Piping Rocks -- and the Cambridge -- some of which "had he bezel changed and were sold as the Oxford Model", while others were "sent to the factory to be melted."

It's also interesting to see that some watches that collectors consider great classics today were not popular originally. The Oval leaps to mind. This is considered one of the most beautiful of the 1920s Hamiltons now, but when they were new Hamilton had to beg people to buy them. When announced on November 8, 1927 Hamilton was optimistic: "We are confident that this Oval shape on account of it being different and the two-tone silver dial adding greatly to its attractiveness, will have a very favorable trade acceptance." But apparently that didn't happen. On October, 1928 Hamilton wrote to wholesalers "We would very much appreciate your efforts in helping us to dispose of these. Will not each one of our wholesalers take a few of them?"

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
René,

Excellent topic, and as always, insightful commentary. I've wondered the same thing about production numbers, and also wondered if similar numbers were the norm for some of the more elaborate watches offered by other manufacturers.

I would like to bring up two points that I think help to explain these absurdly low numbers. The first is that these cases, especially in solid gold, were often produced as investment castings, then hand fitted and finished. This is by necessity a low-volume proposition, and even today, products produced by that method are typically made in runs of dozens, rather than the hundreds or thousands that we might expect.

Secondly, I don't think it's any coincidence that the letter you reference introducing the Glendale is dated Oct. 23, 1929, the day before "Black Thursday", the beginning of the stock market crash, and the end of the "Roaring Twenties". Forward designs like the Glendale and the Oval were obviously intended to go along with the free-wheeling attitude (and free spending) of that era, so it's no surprise that the shock of the start of the depression threw a big bucket of cold water on sales of a new design (like the Glendale) priced at $125. Remember that you could buy a new Model A for less than $400 at that time, so this was a huge investment for a trendy watch.

With those factors considered, the low numbers are perhaps less amazing, but still, considering the national reputation that Hamilton had, and the vast production numbers of some models (as the 992 pocketwatches) it is amazing that so few of anything was sold.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Rene what would be on the list of the top 5 rarest Hamilton wristwatches ever made if both early and later models were included in the list. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
^^^
Now that's a fascinating question! But a lot harder to answer than it might seem... Do we consider one-offs or other special order pieces like the platinum Oval (1 known), platinum Oakley (1 known), platinum Gordon (less than 10 known), 14K Otis (3 known), 14K Seckron (2 known)or white gold Van Horn (1 known)? How about export-only watches like the 18K rose gold Ventura (6 known) or 18K rose gold Vantage (1 known)?

If we limit the list strictly to catalogued watches, do we still consider watches like the platinum Piping Rock (9 made) or platinum Meadowbrook (17 made)? Both were catalogued, though presumably made only on confirmed order.

In the realm of watches that were considered standard catalog offerings with no strings attached, certainly the yellow Glendale is a strong candidate. The Flintridge and Spur would probably be on most peoples' lists too.

But some choices would seem very obscure to most people. I'd have to put the Titan IV-B on the list. Total production isn't known but it was a standard, catalogued item. At $400 in 1966 it was apparently not a big seller, and only 3 survivors have ever been reported.

If I had to name the single rarest catalogued Hamilton, it would have to be the Barbizon. To date I have never heard a single report of anyone even having seen one in person. Do any actually exist??

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Thanks Rene sounds like i have asked a impossable question to answer ..I did not know there was that many rare Hamiltons. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
This is the Glendale

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a magnificent Flintridge

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Another view

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is the Oval: Solid gold green gold & Engraved. 109 made (Only 97 14K yellow gold Glendales exist)

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow! The 18K rose gold Ventura.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is the 14K Otis

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Another look

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is the Oxford...or is it the Oakley?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Would any list of rare Hamilton's not include a true NIB/NOS never worn, never used. Fully complete Original Hamilton Ventura with both boxes, papers, dial, case, band, movement, etc?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
And Finally: This is the Barbizon.....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198