Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all.

I know it is much easier to identify things here with a photo. I just don't have one yet for this watch. I can post some in the next week or so. I have a men's Elgin from, I'm guessing the 1940's or 50's. It has, what I believe to be the original metal band still on it. The face needs a good cleaning, but the movement looks fine (to a layman like myself). The movement, as far as I can see, only has two things stamped on it, "Elgin 19 Jewels" followed by "732". I don't see an actual serial number on the watch itself. On the case is "T780345" and it looks like case number is 9529. It looks like it may be missing a small second hand from the bottom of the dial.
The two questions;
1) Is this too broad of a description to figure out what this watch's name and date is without pictures?
2) Would the serial number be somewhere else that I can't see without taking the watch apart. Which I'm smart enough to realize that I won't be doing.
Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Greetings again.

As a follow up to my question, here are some pictures that may help.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Number 2

posted
Number 3.

posted
...and number 4.
More than anything else, the face worries me a bit. I'm not sure just how much that can be cleaned up and made presentable. And unfortunately, I don't have the missing second hand anywhere.
As before, any assistance that can be thrown my way would be most appreciated.
Happy Tuesday!

posted
Greetings again all.

This is kind of cool, my own little online watch diary! I just wanted to add a little more info that I think is correct. In my searches, I came across Wayne Schlitt's Elgin site. If I plug the "serial number" from the case back into the serial number lookup, it appears that the watch is from 1944. Unfortunately, that is all that I can really find so far, but it is a very informative site.
Happy Wednesday.
Ed

IHC Member 1124
posted
Hi Ed,

I don't really know very much about your particular watch, but I noticed that you stated that you entered the serial number from the case back. You need to use the number from the movement to get the information you're looking for. You may need a magnifier to find and read it. It should be stamped on the movement somewhere. Hope this helps.

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
posted
If only I could find a number on the movement. Being someone with two (or three) left thumbs, when it comes to intricate things such as this, I know better than to dismantle it. My third picture (of the movement) shows everything that I can see without taking it apart. And while the Elgin site said not to use the number on the case back, it looks like the correct...layout, order (?) of a serial number, it popped up in the records, and it should be just about the correct time frame.
I guess one of my biggest questions is, would the serial number be hidden somewhere inside the movement so that the only way to find it would be to take it apart? If that is the case, I may just have to find someone to do a little detective work. It isn't working now, so it may not hurt anything to do that anyway.
Thanks for responding. I don't feel so all alone now! Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hello Edward,
The watch dial can be made like new by a any of the dial refinishers. It costs about $20.

I suspect that the movement is probably from the fifties or sixties, since it has shock protection (kiflector) on the balance jewels. I am not sure where the serial number is on your particular watch, but once found, the date should be no problem.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
That is what is so great about this board, the assorted and collective knowledge from everybody. I have zero knowledge about shock protectors and would never have picked up on that. That would defininitely make the number on the case incorrect for dating purposes. So I guess the next question from me does have to do with the dial. I always hear about just taking the face off and sending it out. How does one go about removing the dial? I have a feeling that it is something that I personally would be uncomfortable doing, especially since I would have to remove the hands to get it off. Of course the missing second hand would make that a little bit easier! Big Grin
Which is the next question, how easy is it to get a replacement hand for the watch. And are there any pictures out there of the same watch to show what the second hand should look like?
Sorry to keep this thread going for so long. The more I ask, the more I realize I just don't know. But thanks to Scott and Charles for egging me on!
Have a good weekend all!
Ed

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Edward,

There may not be a number or it may be under the dial. You are getting some good advice from people who sincerely want to help, something almost unknown these days! I have two more pieces of advice... First, spend the $12.00 to Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185 which will get you into the many Members Only areas and support our operational expenses. Secondly, send the watch to someone like Chris Abell, Certified Watchmaker with the knowledge and experience to properly recondition your watch.

A wristwatch might not be the place to learn how to remove hands and do the various other necessary operations this one requires. Besides, look carefully at that green-slime Big Grin moss-like stuff growing on your stem. That is a strong indicator that experienced professional services are advisable here. You could try removing the crown only to have it strip-out or the stem break in two, you could end up wishing you had kept your hands in your pockets my friend! Anyhow, that is what I would do in your place.

Old advice... "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right" ...might be worth taking.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Lindell.
Thanks for responding. I always feel a little tingle of excitement when one of the "big guns" comes out to respond to one of my topics! Big Grin
I couldn't agree with that sage, old advice more. Having broken, snapped, dropped, lost or just plain destroyed any number of projects in past, I certainly have no plans on attacking this watch myself. Heck, I was nervous just trying to wind the thing. Of course the lovely green slime on the stem kind of scared me too! Razz
Thanks for including the link for Chris Abell. I will be contacting him soon to see what he can do for me. From the rants and raves that I read, I have no doubt it will be great.
Finally, you are correct about joining. I really have no good reason why I haven't done so yet. I shall also remedy that soon.
Thanks again for your input!
Happy Tuesday!
Ed