WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Black Dialed - Turning Bezel - wristwatches for pilots... "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I was asked a few questions about an interesting display of pilot's watches on a German Language site. These watches were made by various Swiss makers, but all of them have the black dial and durning bezel in common. They may not all be military, but some or all of them may be commercial.

Watches of this sort were sold in the U.S. commercially. Also, during WWII Seiko made an extra large model which was issued to Imperial Army and Navy pilots.

The question is, why did this style, of a black dial with turning bezel, catch on with so many makers? Was it endorsed by a pilot's organization? A Govt recommendation?

Flying-Time Site

Any insight would be appriciated. (and, "no", I only wish I spoke German).

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1941 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An example of the type. Note wire lugs.

Posts: 1941 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Balance cock code EOP stands for Harvel, Rensie.

Caseback: "HELIOS WATCH SWISS STAINLESS STEEL"

posted
I would be very interested to learn more about this topic. I have a very worn Helios "Precision" that I inherited from my grandfather. It is missing the crystal and the hour hand. It is a beautiful watch, though. Would I be well advised to have it repaired? It is identical to the watch above except "Helios" is curved and "Precision" is in script.

-David

Posts: 2 | Location: Muskegon, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 11, 2008
posted
Greg,
one of the reasons I believe which made these types of wristwatch
dials caught on with pilots was the similarity they had with the dials
found on the control panels of their planes.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
My Helios:

Posts: 2 | Location: Muskegon, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 11, 2008