Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton adverts - info. wanted. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Does anyone know what is the earliest Hamilton advert showing a wrist watch ? I have an ad. from 1923 showing the Cushion round; but is there anything earlier.

dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Dan, I have a file of watch ads that were taken from "National Geographic". I have two for wristwatches. One from 3/25 and one from 5/26. Sorry, could not find any that were earlier.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
I have one from 1923 for a Cushion Round strap watch - but even that may not be the earliest ad. showing a man's watch. I'd like to find the very first man's wristwatch ad.

And I'd love good quality scans of your two ads., if you are able to do that, and send them to me by email.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Dan, I don't have a scanner so I am unable to e-mail them to you. Sorry.

Tom

posted
Hamilton introduced the wristwatch for men in 1917, so you are looking for advertisements going to 1917 or 1918. See Bryan's and Will's article in April Bulletin.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
That is indeed an earlier date than I had thought.

Is there any member who can get me good scans from pre-1920's ads. ?

My earliest Hamilton ---

cushion-round

posted
Your watch appears to be a 6/0 size 986 that was introduced in July 1922. There is an advertisement of this model in the article by Bryan and Will.

The article also has earlier advertisements showing the 0 size models.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info.

As for the watch - it is real difficult to get good examples of these very old Hamiltons, especially those in gold-fill. Wear of the gold fill is common, as also is wear on the lug holes.

dan