• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

question about a hamilton robert "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
hello, i just purchased a hamilton robert after passing on it earlier. the price was up there....

i did make a phone call to the seller after pondering on my way home. i bought it but do not have it available for a picture. (maybe by wednesday i will go it)

it is 14k solid gold and in extra fine condition. it measures about 28 or 29mm long and about 23 wide.....

it has a 19 jewel movement with an "H" in a circle marked on it (it isn't a 982)

my reserves about buying it this morning were regarding firstly the dial.

it is not a black dial as seen in the shugart listings. also rather than arabic numbers it has only gold squares for the hours....

secondly it has a fourth wheel where the one pictured in the guide has no second hand or register.

also the guide lists the robert as 17 jewels and either gents or ladies.

are there two versions of this watch?

the watch was part of an original estate of which i did buy 3 of the pocket watches from. the dial that is on the watch is very nice and appears original....

any ideas as to wether or not i bought a mix and match?

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
The watch pictured as the "Robert" in the Shugart guide is actually the ladies version, known as the "Roberta."

The men's version usually came with the 19-jewel grade 754 movement which has a seconds hand register on the dial, so it sounds like everything is correct on yours.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
bryan, thank you sincerely. i somewhat expected that there may be a ladies and a mens variation of this watch.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
posted
Don,

here's a picture of a very nice 14K Hamilton
"Roberta" that I picked up a couple of months ago.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Hamilton Roberta.jpg

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
hi dave, that looks like the watch i bought without sub second hand. i still have to pick it up. the hour markers on yours look the same too. i will post a picture of it towards the end of the week.

thanks for the pic!

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Roberta in yellow gold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LADIES-HAMILTON-14K-GOLD-VINTAGE-WA...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
its a little dirty inside....

posted
movement and mark

posted
close dial

posted
Don,
very nice, I guess between the two of us we've now got both the mens and ladies models. Do I smell a possible trade in the wind???? Eek

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
possibly dave, i put a bid on the one bill posted earlier though....

IHC Life Member
posted
The Robert dial above is correct according to the Rondeau book - some general watch "guides" are not always accurate - in particular prices in these books often bear no relation to current actual auction prices - so treat the info therein with caution.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
It is a huge honor to have Dan Mitchell posting on our wrist watch board. His understanding about the Hamilton watch company, particularly but not exclusively the electrics, is extraordinary. He is also a watch maker. He can, and does provide great information about wrist watch restoration. I'm so delighted to have Dan Mtichell, from West Walton, England participate in our Chapter 185 on-line community.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Dan,
Welcome to the 185 community and thanks for your input.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003