WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ID-Hamilton Military Watch:ORD. DEPT., U.S.A., OD-103603, and H-1 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Looking to ID this watch and if it is rare as well as value? The back says:ORD. DEPT., U.S.A., OD-103603, and H-1. Advice appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark, Your Hamilton is known in military slang as a garrison watch. Your watch was issued to troops that generally remained in garrison, ie medical, supply, etc. Your watch has the cream dial and should not be hack set.

The tactical version was issued to combat troops. The tactical version has the black dial and is hack set.

It is a good watch and a nice example, but not a rare watch.

Tom (US Army retired)

posted
What is a hack set? Is this a proper watchfor the inscription on back? Is the black or cream more common? Lastly any idea on value? Appreciate the reply!

posted
Mark,

Hack set refers to the seconds hand stopping when the crown is pulled out to set the time. This allowed precise synchronization. It's an extra complication in the movement, so wasn't used for non-combat (or non-navigation) watches. I don't know if one version is more common than another, but collectors seem to prefer the tactical versions.

All of these watches have some value. In good condition yours is worth a bit more than you paid for it. If the auction had run full length, it probably would have broken the $100 mark.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Appreciate the answer, interesting. Thank you.

posted
Mark,

You may want to open up the watch and see what movement you have in there. Plus, as you probably already know, the serial number can help date it.

The "OD" also designated that the watch was a wrist watch of 15 to 17 jewels.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
No Tim. The OD stands for ordinance dept.

Tom

posted
Tom,

I don't think that's correct. All WWII US military wrist watches were marked on the back with some kind of designation. All the watches I have seen have "ORD DEPT" or variations of such. But... underneath that there are marks designating the grade of the watch. Here are some of the pertinent ones from TM 9-1575:

For new manufacture:
a.) OC - for 7 to 9 jewel wrist watches
b.) OD - for 15 to 17 jewel wrist watches
c.) OF - for 15 to 17 jewel wrist watches (waterproof case).
d.) OFA - for 15 to 16 jewel wrist watch, waterproof case, Air Corps (Navigation, Type A-11, substitute standard).
e.) OG - for 7 to 9 jewel wrist watch (waterproof case).

There are a few others for the ones manufactured before 12 November 1940.

If you look at Mark's original post he mentions that the back of the watch is marked: "ORD. DEPT., U.S.A., OD-103603, and H-1."

The "OD" in front of the serial number designates this as a watch having 15 to 17 jewels (originally) and most probably a dustproof case, not a waterproof case... unless rebuilt under a new standard by the Ordinance Department and into a new or different case.

I think the H-1 means Hamilton, though I'm not sure about that.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
OK Tim. I'll stand corrected Smile

Tom

posted
Your a gentleman Tom Smile

posted
It is a hack watch. I pull out stem and second hand stops. The h 1 is on the bottom of the back, which I can't get off. Hope this helps, it htere is anything else or more oics wanted, let me know. Thanks for the replies.

IHC Life Member
posted
The watch will probably have the most frequently used movement, the 987A -- a real tough movement, easily serviced, and for which kits of spares were issued in big wooden boxes.

D.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Question, been looking at "military" watches on bbay and none of them have the sub second hands that I have. I have seen the sweep second hand. Does that classify this watch any differently? Thanks.

posted
During WWII the Hamilton production of the 17 jewel 987A was as follows:
110,336 Army
3,000 Russian Government
22,410 Navy
15,888 Marine Corps

For the 18 jewel 987S (for the center seconds)
12,000 Navy
2,926 Navy

So you see the production of 987 wrist watches was huge for just a few years. Their total military production was 368,282 timepieces (not counting Fuzes and such).

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004