Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I need help on a Hamilton Wristwatch ID. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I can not find this wristwatch in the Price Guide. I would like to sell it but I need some information before I put it on the Bay. Does anyone know the model number or how many jewels or whether or not if it is battery or mechanical? I don't have anything to open the back with but it looks like from all the scratches whoever owned it before me did not have anything to open it with either. It is a big heavy gold electroplated watch.
Thanks

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
how about the back case picture.
Also try crazy glue with hex nut to remove (unscrew)

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
is the watch running?

IHC Member 1610
posted
No the watch is not running. It could need a battery if it is battery powered. I will try the crazy glue and let you know.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Another of the back.

posted
Harry, I would say it has an mechanical movement, 17 jewels, either an ETA or A. Schild movement. If it were a Electric Hamilton it would be marked on the dial.

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Ernest. That helps. I still can not get the back off. I will try Peters superglue suggestion.

posted
once you get cover out use paint thiner to dissolve the glue once hut is off dip rag or paper towel
in paint thiner and apply to glue that been left
on case after 15 min.scrape the glue off.
I did it and works.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Peter.

IHC Member 1610
posted
WHOOO HOOO! I FINALLY GOT THE BACK OFF! PETER THANK YOU FOR THE SUPER GLUE IDEA. HOWEVER THE NUT KEPT SNAPPING OFF. NOT ENOUGH SURFACE AREA TO HOLD. SO I GOT A PIECE OF FLAT STEEL AND THAT DID THE TRICK. SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS BUT I DID NOT REALIZE THEY WERE ON.

The watch is now running and keeping good time. The roller jewel had jumped out of the pallet fork. I put it back in and it took off. It is a HAMILTON 801 with a gold electroplated case but no strap. I can not find a value for it in the price guide. Does anyone know how I can find out it's worth. I am not trying to get everything I can for it. A member wants to buy it and all I want is for both of us to be happy. Any suggestions?

posted
Harry the idea is not mine I found it on IHC185
can you post picture of the movement.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Here you go Peter. You may not have come up with the idea but you planted the seed. It has been running for about 18 hours and it is keeping perfect time with my quartz wristwatch. The date/day is working as it should also. Thanks.

posted
nice watch only if the face was silver I will
ask you for it.
But on the other hand how many wrist watches do
I need I just dig out my old Zodiac Autographic that did not
seen the day lights in years .
Cheers.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Peter. Yes it appears to be a very nice watch. And a IHC185 member wants it. Neither of us know the value and neither of us collect wristwatches. I do not want rip him off and I don't want to get taken either. So that is why I'm trying to find out the value of this watch. I was going to put it on Ebay but since a fellow IHC member wanted it I had rather it go to him if we can determine a value. Thanks again Peter for your help.

posted
Well if i was buying this one I will give you $50.
Hope is not low balling.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Peter. I have no idea. I was really hoping someone on the wristwatch forum had some knowledge about the watch or value or at least could tell me where to look. I don't know anything about wristwatches but it looks like there are a lot more variety and models to choose from. It appears that no one knows anything about this watch. I'll give it a little more time and if no one post anything I'll see if the IHC member wants it for $50. I just want to make sure I am not asking to much for it.

Too bad it is not silver. If the other member did not want it you might have been interested. Thanks again Peter for all your help.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
$50 dollars is a fair price. It is Not an automatic. And it is not a very collectable model as it is most likely from the 70's Big and clunky. I would be glad to get $50 if it was one of my watches I was selling. Remember when winding watches to hold one hand steady as you wind the crown with the other hand. By swinging both hands back and forth at the same time will sometimes even make a double roller watch over bank.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you once again Eugene. The watch has been keeping time for about 4 or 5 days now. I think I will list it here later and if it doesn't sell I'll put it on the bay. Both you an Peter both suggest $50 would be a fair price so that is what I will list it for. No auction just an outright sell. Thank you again.