Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

IHC Member 500 is René Rondeau "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

IHC Member 500 is René Rondeau, Welcome Aboard!

Every Chapter 185 Member is important to us, but some of our members are so well-known they really stand out. Say the words... "Hamilton Wristwatches" to any knowledgeable collector and the name René Rondeau will quickly enter the conversation. It goes without saying he literally wrote the book, in fact he wrote two of them!

"Watch of the Future" and "Hamilton Wristwatches, A Collector's Guide"

René is the foremost living authority on Hamilton Electrics. You may recall the 500 Electric was the first one. I can think of no one better to be IHC Member 500 than the expert on the watch that bears that number!

Read this interview from "Watch Time Magazine" and you'll get a good idea of this man and his outgoing personality...

René Rondeau Interview in "Watch Time Magazine"

The René Rondeau Website has a literal storehouse of information on Hamilton Electric and Mechanical Watches. You'll find reconditioned and new watches available...

René Rondeau, Specializing in Hamilton Watches Since 1986

Join me in welcoming René Rondeau aboard. I'm sure we all look forward to his becoming an important part of our Chapter 185 Meeting and Discussion Site, particularly our Wristwatch Forum.

It just gets better and better and better!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Welcome to Chapter 185 René
Just got my Pacer back from René. Another fine overhaul. Thanks René

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow! A true celebrity. I bought my first Hamilton Electric from René. Welcome. Smile

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Watch and Clock Collectors are Really Very Special People

We share a passion, which is deeper than an interest.

We marvel at history & celebrate innovation.

We honor the past, and desire to carry information and relics from the past, through the present, and into the future.

We also share a profound respect for time.

I welcome Rene Rondeau to the IHC, and I am very delighted that he has joined us.

I've only met Rene Rondeau once, and that was last September at the Dearborn Show. Prior to that, he and I exchanged hundreds of emails. He restored many of my "important watches", and sold me almost all of my "most important watches".

Sure, Rene is "The Dean of the Hamilton Electrics" (Where did that come from anyway?).

Sure, a Rene Rondeau restored Hamilton is worth 20% to 30% more than any similar Hamilton.

Yes, He wrote "The Book on Electrics", and "The Guide for Hamilton Collectors".

My experience is that Rene Rondeau is also one of the most generous wrist watch enthusiasts that I've ever met. He has graciously responded to hundreds of questions that I've asked him, most of them being the really absurd ones of a young collector (Rene, Should I buy the Altair on Ebay with the buy it now of $1400?).

Rene Rondeau shares all of the ideals that I mentioned above. His research regarding Hamilton wrist watches, and his specific research into the electric is extraordinary. His passion for the history and technology is unmatched. The quality of his restoration skills is unrivaled, and the prices of his watches are below market value. (Note to self: Edit that last line. Why share this??)

I am so delighted that Rene is the 500th member of the IHC.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm honored to be #500 -- a very fitting number somehow! My only problem now is to figure out where I'm going to find the hours I'll need to read through all the posts on this site. It looks pretty daunting!

(And Bill -- yes, you should buy that Altair.......)

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
LOL! 3 years ago, when I had no understanding about the value or importance of Hamilton Electrics, someone listed an Altair with a buy it now of $1400. Being a timid collector, I emailed Rene to ask his advise. In the moments between my question, and his answer, our own Steve "Spockstudio" Pagano bought the watch!

As an aside...several months ago, Steve sent the watch to me....

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Welcome Aboard René!

We look forward to your active participation in our chapter.

Debbie

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Welcome Rene, Great to have you aboard.All good people. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Outstanding idea Lindell.

A real thrill and honor to have you with us Rene!

We all look forward to your participation at IHC 185! I want your autograph Rene!!! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Welcome Rene'! I know what you mean about the time to read it all. I usually catch up on weekends, but sometimes even that is a stretch. However THIS site is my priority and I feel confident that you will agree after a few weeks. This is home.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Welcome René I know you will enjoy Chapter 185 .

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Welcome Rene'
Cogratulations on becoming #500
Hope you enjoy all the tyme you will spend with your new Family
Cheers Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Welcome Rene'! Great to have you with us!
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
A week ago a man told me that, "if you want to know anything about Hamilton Electrics, I have a connection in US", Rene Rondeau was his name. I must admit that I only recognize the name from somewhere but nothing more than that. And a few days later, I see his name on this board. You are well known here in Sweden aswell and have a great reputation as a true Hamiltonian. Even if I was not updated in my mind, others are. Smile

By this chapter I now hopefully have the connection myself, with you AND 500 other watch people around the globe. Amazing.
Welcome on board!
Best wishes!
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Welcome aboard, Rene. It's nice to have a chance to encounter you in an informal manner. I hope you enjoy these forums and the people. I feel certain you will be a true asset to the chapter.

- Greg

Posts: 254 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: April 21, 2003
Wristwatch Expert

posted
I don't know what else can be said, but I'll give it a try. I have known Rene for the better part of 10 years, and he is the consummate gentleman and the watch dealer you wish everyone was like in terms of his honesty and integrity. Despite being busy as a dealer and a technician, he has, on countless occasions, selflessly given of his time in answering my questions, especially as pertains to horological research.

Welcome aboard, Rene.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Welcome Rene, I had wished my member number would be 770 but I'm afraid I couldn't wait that long. Smile

Regards,

Stan

Posts: 3 | Location: Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom | Registered: July 13, 2005