Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova with Japanese movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I recently acquired an Oceanographer with a 17j manual wind movement made in Japan. what's that all about?

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
posted
Dana,
The Bulova Watch Company was taken over by Citizen of Japan in 2008.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's right, in fact Citizen-Miyota is today the world's top producer of mechanical-automatic movements. Their Grade 8215 compares favorably to the venerable ETA 2824 in durability and time-keeping abilities. Here is a link to "Japan Bulova" which may prove interesting.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1063
posted
This one is a 1976 (N6) Oceanographer. that's what surprised me.

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's very interesting Dana,

The link I provided above will take you to discussion of Bulova Caravelles with movements sourced from Japan in the same era as your watch, apparently the use of Japan movements began much earlier than is commonly supposed.

To take it one step further, around the same time as your watch the later Bulova Accutron Grade 219 which is circa 1977 (N7) and marked as 2191.10 was actually a result of simplification engineered by Citizen-Miyota which eliminated several parts from the standard 218 movement and cut the cost of production significantly.

I constantly see parallels between the watch and automobile industries, we all know how much things have changed and will continue to change, the world just keeps on turning... and shrinking!

Share a picture or two if you can,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002