• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Identifying an Elgin Wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone help me identify this watch? I can't find the case-style in any books/internet and only know that it is a 17J movement 6/0s from 1928. It seems to run but the mainspring is broken. Can anyone help? Thanks. Clayton

Posts: 98 | Location: Boone, North Carolina USA | Registered: December 16, 2005
posted
Movement

posted
Case back

posted
Clayton
nice watch
Elgin grade 489, only made 1928/29, total numbers 32000.

don't know how much 5/0s 6/0s mainsprings are interchangeable.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Cant answer your question but I like the dial and hands on it.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Clayton
I think the mainspring you will need is part# 6098 the #2890 mainspring would also work..I,ll look i may have serveral of these. Smile

You have a much sought after Elgin i like the enemal bezel..Some are idenifed by the model number inside the case back...I don,t think i have seen this style before..
Nice watch Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks Sammie, let me know on the mainspring. I bought it because of the enemaling on the bezel. I'm not certain if it is a man's or woman's watch because of the band. The band is small and looks as if it could be original. The watch however appears to be a man's? I have not removed the movement from the case but will do that and see if there is anything there. Any idea of the value? Thanks. Clayton

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Clayton
it,s a mans watch from early on up till the 60,s mens watches were not the big rocks you see today but smaller and with more style ,,all you see today is round and big i think the older ones were much nicer.. SmileValue i am not sure on that i have seen the enemal bezel,s sell in the 500-600 dollar range some of course quite a bit less...

I will look in the morning and see what mainsprings i have.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004