• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilt dial Hamilton Yorktown? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anyone know for sure if this dial is correct? I've only ever seen the Yorktown with the applied gold numeral dial.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
Your concerns appear to be justified. The Yorktowne was introduced in the 1940 catalog and shown again in the 1941 catalog. Both described "18K applied gold numeral dial only".

It was not in the 1942 price list.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Hamilton made quite a few watches which did not find their way into the formal catalogs - e.g. the Vancott -- so a different dial design is possible.

You need to see the back of the dial as refinishers nearly always mark this with an identifying code. It does however look a very "modern" style of dial !

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
The seller identified this as a NOS dial, so it's very possibly not an original style to this watch, no? Still looks wonderful.

Adam

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
The design is similar to the gilt dial for the Clark, which leads me to believe it could be authentic. Also, the text is the same font.

posted
Is that a dial model number in the center bottom of the dial, under the marker for 6? Some of the Hamilton dials did have a model/style number there.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Yes. That is the other clue that leads me to believe the dial is authentic. The number looks like D76.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Authentic NOS Hamilton, no doubt, but to this model?

posted
Yes, the D76 is a Hamilton dial. I am just saying it does not belong on the Yorktowne. Sometimes an option was missed by the catalog, but later catalogs and especially price lists catch up. None have a two-tone option. Here is the Yorktowne from the 1940 catalog.

Don

Yorktowne 1940

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Here is a picture of the Winthrop from the same catalog. Notice how a two-tone dial is listed as an alternative dial.

I can check to see if we have a blueprint for the D76. If we do, it will list for which cases it was used. I am the only person answering watch questions and I cannot go in this week, so be patient for an answer.

Don

Winthrop 1940

posted
This may be your dial on the Wilshire from the 1941 catalog.

Don

Wilshire 1941

posted
Got the watch today and the code at the bottom of the dial is D76.

Hamilton D76 dial

posted
I changed the band to a black 'gator grained to make the dial pop a bit more. Thanks to Bryan G. for the photo tips.

gilt dial Yorktowne

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
A very interesting dial indeed. It certainly appears authentic and the contours fit the Yorktowne case perfectly even if such a dial was not catalogued.

I have a copy of the files showing pictures of the D-series dials from D1 to D100. These pages are undated but they refer to shipments made through 1940. Interestingly enough, D76 is listed as "open." So this design had to appear sometime later than early 1941. It would have to be a narrow time window, the Yorktowne doesn't appear in the postwar 1946 catalog.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Rene,

I have seen so many dials come back with a different style than they went off with. How do you make sure they restore the dial properly?

Don

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
I always write detailed instructions and make a sketch of the dial on the job envelope. For complex or rare dials I will often print out either a photo of a good original or at the very least a catalog drawing to show exactly what I want. I've found that if you're quite specific about your wants, the good refinishers will strive to follow them precisely. After all, they hate comebacks as much as watchmakers do! Of course it goes without saying that you have to deal with a competent refinisher. There are some, alas, who just don't have the correct dies and simply can't do jobs accurately.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Many thanks to Don for authenticating the gilt dial version for Hamilton's Yorktowne model. Here is an excerpt from Don's email to me:

Mr. Diss,

I have attached a copy of the blueprint for the Hamilton D76 dial. I hope it is clear enough. I am surprised to see that indeed this dial is 100% correct for the Yorktowne. You can see that written on the left 2/3rds of the way down. It was not on any pricelist or in any catalog, but there is the blueprint.

And here is the copy of the blueprint:

D76 Yorktowne dial

posted
Now THAT is impressive!!!

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
I love this forum, esp. for surprising threads like this!

posted
NOTE TO SELF: I think the value of Mr. Diss' Hamilton Yorktown just went up a bit...

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005