Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega Speedmaster Numbers "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Ok I have this Omega listed and several potential buyers want to know the number in the back of the case to see if it matches the movement. The movement looks to me like it is a 321 and the numbers on the inside of the cover are 105 012 66 which do not see to match. Can someone tell me more info on this.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
picture of the inside back cover

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Rob,

There are several series of these watches, and some are more valuable than others. There are also high quality fakes made in Asia. The case numbers are the one thing that the fakes can't get exactly right, and there are lists of numbers that are known to be used in fakes. I'm sure that your potential bidders are just trying to reconcile the movement with the case number to verify the authenticity of the watch, and to place it in the proper series.

Omega case numbers don't include the movement number as part of the series. I don't know how to decode them, but there are lists published for what's correct and what's not.

I would also say that from the bids already received, they are content that it's a good one. It sure does look nice to me.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Cary I was not sure if I was missing anything.

posted
Robert -

Might I suggest a visit to the Omega Vintage Database at the following website:

http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/main.php

You'll need to register there to access the records, but it's free and without obligation.

The Omega database is very sensitive. If enter any part of the information incorrectly, it does not return results.

I ran a quick check on your watch and the 321 movement does match that case reference number 105.012). If someone is not finding it, the problem might be in the "66", which represents the manufacture year (1966) and is not part of the case reference.

There are all sorts of nuances and differences in the various Speedmaster models, that the experts know and I don't know.

Good luck,
gatorcpa

Posts: 19 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: September 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Evan fot the link Great info. Bottom line is I am happy for what the auction resulted in.