• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ladies 1915 Waltham Necklace Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is there somewher to research aprox. values on this watch? The works are 22194698, it has 7 jewels. The number on the case is 6785193. The date is specific it says: Pat. May 11, 1915 made for Waltham Philadelphia Watch Case Co. Any help or direction would be truly appreciated.

Laurie

Posts: 4 | Location: Cushing, Maine USA | Registered: May 29, 2006
posted
Laurie, These are very nice watches, but in the collecting community, there is not much interest by collectors in the small watches like yours unless the watch is in a fancy or unique solid gold case. Yours looks like a gold filled case--I might be wrong. Your watch is from the 1920 timeframe. It was designed and meant to be a jewelry item for a lady. The 7 jewel movement is reliable as a timekeeper, but was considered an inexpensive movement.

With any collectable, the value is a matter of suply and demand. With your watch there is not much demand by collectors, and watches like this are out there in abundance. Therefore as a collectable, it would not command much value. Your best bet is to consider it a piece of jewelry. The value would probably increase. The nice chain with the slide is probably worth as much or more than the watch. I do know that recently, I have seen watches like yours for sale at marts in running condition, without a chain, and they were priced in the $20 range.

Hope this helps.

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
It also depends entirely on WHERE you find these watches for sale. I saw one exactly like yours in Murfreesboro, TN yesterday in a large antique store for $275. I'm sure they'll never get that for the watch....but at least someone thinks they have a chance...so you never know.
Wink
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The May 11, 1915 patent refers specifically to the "hidden eye" that folds into the bottom of the case. When folded in, the watch was worn as a pendant or lapel watch. Folded out, the eyelet served as an attachment for the other end of a wrist strap (usually a ribbon). These appear in both solid gold and gold-filled cases. They appear to have been almost exclusively used on Waltham watches.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thank you all for your help. Very good information and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Laurie

Posts: 4 | Location: Cushing, Maine USA | Registered: May 29, 2006