Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Wristwatch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Is this watch real? I've never seen one before.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2613736866&category=10319

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
I dont know but it looks cool.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter Member
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Larry and Aaron,

Personally I tend to doubt the dial originally looked anything like it does now with the RR markings. The unusually forthhright seller is telling us right up front the dial has been re-done. It's a beautiful job, the dial will sell that watch! Note the case is a bit rough, but this should still go for big money.

That watch movement is a great one and it is marked as having been made and marked for Ball. However, we must bear in mind that Webb C. Ball was one of Cleveland, Ohio's leading jewelers for many, many years. The RR watches were cased and timed upstairs, but in the store downstairs they even sold silverware. Check the details in this picture taken more than 90 years ago.

Lindell

Webb C. Ball Co., Superior Ave at Seneca (now West 3rd) in Cleveland Ohio

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
what is the present status of this building?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Terry,

I've been told it still stands, but I must confess I've never actually gone to look. Inquiries of people who know that area brought mixed responses. A Map-Quest search shows the later store still existing with 1114 Euclid indicated as being a valid address.

See the sign up on top of this one, the earlier building "Ball's Standard RailRoad Watches" and down on the street level, "Diamonds, Watches and Silverware" but we also can see the second floor was a pool hall, see the "Billiards" sign over the center entrance? Evidently the Ball Watch Company we so revere was on the third and or fourth floors. See the big street-level clock on the corner?

Guess I'll have to take the Nikon Camera down there and take some Photo Graphs like the song goes. It could be an interesting trip.

Just hope we're not disappointed and find yet another parking garage!

Stay Tuned,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002