Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tilting at Windmills? - "Quixotic Watch Co" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Claude Girardin
posted
We have received the following invitation, coming from (in)famous Terry Allison, who tries now to ride another "Rosinante", justly called "Quixotic", ie.

American Heritage Dictionary
quix·ot·ic (kw k- s t' k) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality.
Capricious; impulsive: "At worst his scruples must have been quixotic,
not malicious" (Louis Auchincloss).

"Newsgroups: alt.horology
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:40:00 -0000
Subject: Quixotic Watch Company Launch Party in Las Vegas...
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
LAUNCH PARTY FOR QUIXOTIC WATCHES IN LAS VEGAS
Hello...

We're launching a new luxury watch brand called Quixotic Watches in
Vegas on August 3rd. For now, our company is focused on producing
affordable tourbillon wristwatches. Our party is from 5-9pm. It's a
Friday. It will be at Da Mincci Jewelers at the Lake Las Vegas Resort
-- where the Ritz Carlton is located. We're inviting something like
6000 people including some of my friends who are major celebs. Any
way... Hope to see you there. Please feel free to invite close
friends. Talk to you soon. Please feel free to contact me directly
with any questions/comments/concerns at i...@quixoticwatches.com or
via myspace http://www.myspace.com/quixoticwatches. In case you need
to call, please call me at 970-232-8809.

Actor Steven Seagal is one of the owners of this new brand and will
attend this event.

Our new company website is: http://www.quixoticwatches.com

Thanks!
Sincerely,
Quixotic Watch Company "

The hoax goes on and TA persevers in calling "Swiss" Chinese made pseudo tourbillon, now somehow wit the the financial help of other sellers of illusions. ;-)

Posts: 168 | Location: Nidau-Biel/Bienne, Switzerland | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Claude,

I assume he's just chosen the word because he likes the sound. Probably thinks it's "cool" to be "quixotic". Looks to me as if Terry is finding ways to dispose of leftover Montres Allison stock.

The mere use of a myspace page as a publicity tool would make me run for cover.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
From the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry's website: A Swiss watch movement

As we have seen, to be Swiss, a watch must use a Swiss movement. According to Section 2 OSM, a movement is considered to be Swiss if:

* it has been assembled in Switzerland;
* it has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland; and
* the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.

So it would seem that there are probably quite a number of companies that mark their watches "Swiss Made" even though they are using some components from the far east in the watches.

The watches you mention here, don't say Swiss Made on them. Their website indicates that they use components from around the world.

Maybe the Swiss brands shoud fully disclose that they use parts from the far east in their watches - like the company you mention.

Posts: 1 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri in the USA | Registered: October 14, 2007
posted
Claude,
"Tilting at windmills" "Quixotic Watches", I am happy to report that, though I'm slow, I finally got the Man of La Mancha connection Smile.
"Whithersoever I go, onward to Glory I..."
-Don Quixote

I saw the play on Broadway with my grandmother about 35 years ago. I'd never put quixotic and Quixote together before I read this post though.

-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004