Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A nice 2 tone Gruen "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I recently obtained a REALLY nice two tone Gruen wristy Curvex with recessed crown. Supposed to have been made between 1936 and 1939. Keeping perfect time too.

I've tried to post photos, but not having any luck. Anyone willing to let me email them to you so YOU can post them for me? Confused

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark,

Send them to me, and I'll be glad to post them, and also to give you whatever background information I have.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you, Cary! Smile

I'll send them momentarily.

Bear in mind that these photos were shot BEFORE the watch was serviced, so don't let the position of the regulator fool you. It's dead center now.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark's Curvex...

posted
And my comments...

I mentioned to Mark that this is a nice, attractive Curvex, utilizing the 1935 - 1938 era 311 caliber movement. I also mentioned that my gut instinct is that this watch began life as a European market watch featuring either the (non-Curvex) 355 or 500 series movements. Both of these movements are the same size as the 311, and the 311 will fit their cases. Many of these watches have been swapped around over the years. In fact, I was offered a 14K Curvex in Chattanooga that was a 311 movement housed in a 355 marked case.

The issue is that this is a Swiss made case, and doesn't have the familiar case numbers that identify the movement intended to be matched to a case. These Swiss made cases are most commonly seen on those Gruen's that were imported as complete watches during World War Two. Many of the early PanAmerican watches (ca 1943) are in Swiss cases.

Since this case doesn't have the case numbers, we can't be sure what movement it originally carried. While it may be a rare original, European market Curvex that I've never seen before, as I said, my gut reaction is that it's a marriage.

This is in no way meant to imply that either Rich or Mark did anything to this one. I have no doubt that this is how it came to Rich, and it was sincerely offered as what it is, a 311 Curvex in a signed Gruen case. If it is in fact a marriage, many of these exchanges happened long, long ago. The trader who offered the one to me this weekend had no idea, and I would have actually been surprised a bit if he had. While many of us know about the 440-430 similarities, there are not many who know (or particularly care) about the earlier confusion.

Regardless, it's still a neat watch...

Regards,

Cary

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much, Cary! Smile

I really like it, and it was not represented to me by Rich as being anything other than what you see here...a very nice Gruen vintage wrist watch....and I am VERY happy with it, it's nice appearance and Art Deco lines, and it's fantastic performance.

HIGH regards! Mark

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Mark, that is a very nice 'Gruen!'
Like the dial and the two tone case is special.

Cary, very informative, thank you.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I might be able to shed a little light on the watch. I purchased it about 5 or 6 years ago while I was on a trip to Germany. The case and movement are as they were purchased, the dial (which did say Curvex) was re-done as it was (black). I did clean the movement and put a new pink crown.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002