Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

IHC WRISTWATCH COLLECTORS "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi Dave,

You kind of stirred up the wrist watch people a little. :-)

I have been collecting and repairing clocks for over 30 years. I had never even thought much about collecting watches.

I did own 3 railroad pocket watches and a couple of my Grandfathers size 18 watches and a couple more.

My father-in-law had started a watch collection and had two cases made to hang on the wall. One for pocket watches and another for wrist watches.

He passed away and I inherited the watches and cases. That was my downfall. I have been filling the cases for the past 10 years.

I keep them in a room where I can enjoy looking at them and wearing whatever the urge is at the moment. It might be a winder from the past or a quartz or a lot of the time a Ball or 992B pocket watch also.

I found a Omega Seamaster DeVille at a garage sale for 75 cents one day and I've been looking ever since for another find like that. That was the carrot for looking at all the garage sales that I can fit in.

I have around 40 old winders of all American makes that are reliable, 1-214 RR Accutron and a Astronaut Mark II. 20-quartz that run fine and around 50 that don't. 17- assorted Dollar watches and around 70 ladies watches.

Needless to say I don't spend much money for them but its a great pastime looking. I'm still looking to find a gold watch. I have a couple ladies that are gold, but no mens.

Its nice to see everyones ideas and I hope this stirs up some more interest in wristwatches. There is such a variety to be had.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Good morning Dave, I find that after collecting pocket watches for many years and a little encouragement from my wife to save $ for our golden age when that ever arrives! I started to look at the junk box that has been some 40 years in the filling. The box contained trasures that have been forgotten for all that time. Now if it looks interesting I will try to restore it.
I have 2 very early rolex and a couple of tudor, 4 early omega and numerous gruen, movado, tissot, and a host of early swiss ETA movements. My latest find was a benson with a longines movement. Like Bill I do not spend very much on any wrist watch, most are from the box or that customers leave with me as they would rather buy a new watch than spend the dollars to repair the (old junker) I do encourage the restoration of the family heirlooms but with the desposable society we have the history and the watch are mostly thrown away. Frown

Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Don congratulations for finding this site. I would love to see the Franck Muller Sunset in 18k rose gold. I don't believe I have ever seen one. Are they Quartz or wind ups. I would love to own a Venture in white gold. But have never dedicated the cash for one. Always seem to be spent on a vintage pocket watch. I would also like to welcome you and invite you to join the membership. It is a whopping $12. a year Which translate to a 1/4 gallon of gas a month. $1.00 a month. By doing so it would open up the other treasure spots than are for members only. Auctions, For Sale, Want to Buy Forums. Happy watch hunting and Good health.
Gene Buffard

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Count me in as a vintage wrist watch collector Smile

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
I didn't mean to become one but I guess I am too. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
IHC Member 1063
posted
Dave-

I'm primarily a ww collector. I focus on Bulova Oceanographer, Zodiac Sea Wolf, and early Girard Perregaux Sea Hawks. It all started with trying to locate a missing bezel ring for a 60's Sea Hawk which I have yet find.

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008