Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rafael Nadal's Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
What's the story with Rafael Nadal's $500,000.00 watch that he was wearing at the French Open? Can a watch really be worth that much?

Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Dana

It would only be worth that much if Tiger Woods sold it to him! Big Grin Wink

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I checked it out guys, until recently even I could suit up like a tennis champ Big Grin with all the right stuff!

All I had to do was surf the internet, hit the online stores and then order up Rafa Nadal's shirt, shoes, shorts, wristbands, bandanna and even the right racket for about $500 so then I could dress just like a six-time Grand Slam champion. But wait a minute, now that Nadal has added a watch to his on-court look, the price of being a pretender and looking athletic went up, in fact it went up a whole lot Eek like ...whoa mama... $525,000 higher.

When the tennis great took to the court at the French Open last month he was wearing a timepiece from Swiss Watchmaker Richard Mille, the Grade RM027 Tourbillon which was made specially for Nadal features a carbon-composite and lithium alloys case and that allows it to be extremely light. Total weight is only 20 grams, the weight of eight pennies, so Nadal can wear it during matches, and in fact he does, it's part of the promotion.

If you are interested in buying this watch, you must be far more successful than I, you must have a lot of disposable income and yes, since only 50 of these super-light timepieces will ever be produced it is a very exclusive big-time high-buck collector's item. Rest assured, you won't get competition from me, it costs more than my house Roll Eyes and besides that dial is too confusing... at least that's my excuse Wink now let's hear yours!

Rafael Nadal shows off his very, very pricey timepiece...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 935
posted
How about organizing a syndicate of 5,000 members, each contributing $125? This would produce more than enough to buy one of the 50 pieces being produced. Since I am an idea person and not a detail person, I leave the details up to you to work out how each member of the syndicate can be given $125 worth of fondling time with the watch. Another idea is to give to each syndicate member a gold lapel pin (for men) or a gold pendant (for women). The pins and pendants should be in the shape of a tennis raquet
and be engraved with a serial number.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Mortimer - I'll have to think a bit about your idea, well at least the details aspect. How to equitably share possession among 5000 syndicate members may pose a problem. Wink

Lindell - I agree with you about the confusion when looking at the dial (well, what would be the dial). Way, way, too busy for me. If the hands were a contrasting color it might be better. And, based on the purchase price of our house, I could buy 105 of them for the price of this watch! Eek

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not sure if my math is right but if we go with Mort's plan & we can get the watch shipped to each person within 3 days & the person wears it for one day it will only take somewhere between 55-60 years to make it around once to each person. It would make it to about 91 people a year

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1063
posted
I wonder what he'd be wearing for a watch if we weren't in a recession.

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
I thought the French Open was a golf tournament-hence Tiger Woods. Confused

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007