Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mt. Vernon Watch Co? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Can anyone advise me the maker of this watch? I have been told that it could be a Hamilton or Illinois. Or was there a watch company by this name?

Many thanks!

Watch movement

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Here is a photo of the dial.

watch dial

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Inside the case back.

case back

IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
The watch is housed in a stainless or nickel case and is a mens rectangular watch

front view

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sam,

Illinois made a lot of private-label watches, I don't think this is one of them.

What I see is a 1930s looking watch with an unusual combination of factors. The austere movement finish and pressed jewels give it a "Swiss-Made" appearance. The F and S for fast and slow rather than A and R for advance and retard conflicts with that. However, my overall impression is a movement made in Switzerland for marketing in the US by an American distributor. Part of that is the over-playing of "U.S.A" on both movement and dial. One of those "doest protest too much" kind of things.

It will be interesting to see if anyone actually recognizes this one!

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Hi Lindell,

I could not find a serial number on the movement either. I believe most American made watches had serial numbers. I may have to take the dial off but hoping someone will save me the task.

Sam

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Aha! You're right!

That's another thing... the Swiss were often built movements without serial numbers.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello,

In 1950 the Mt. Vernon Watch Co. was at
15 W.37th St New York NY

'Norwood' was a model of theirs.They also had 'Crestwood','Fleetwood'and 'Mt.Vernon'.

The movement looks ,to me, like some of the old Benrus watches they made in the U.S. before WWII.

Hope this helps.

J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your kindness in advising me about this watch. I like this watch and will keep it in my collection.

Thanks again,

Sam