Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton's wartime wristwatches & others "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
In a fairly short time I have been able to buy two of Hamilton's "Cushion 1940" models -- case numbers H775829 and the one below, with seconds@9, case number H775753. These are described more fully on Will Roseman's info. site.

Any more number info. would help to establish some idea of numbers remaining.

1940 Cushion

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Another member, Thomas Diss, also has one, possibly in green gold-fill, case number currently unknown.

Cushion 1940

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
My case number is H853417.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hamilton's case makers numbered in batches. Thus you could have a batch of Cushions for Hamilton, then cases for a different model or even manufacturer, then another batch for Hamilton, and so on ----

So at least two batches of Cushion cases were made in the 1940s. Any more numbers, anyone ?

posted
Here's mine, it has a 986 movement without second hand. I think it is green gf over and is vermeil, gold over silver

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Movement

posted
Case back inside, serisl number is H678199 with "s" for silver.

posted
I have one, also without a second hand. Here's a picture of the face:

Here's a link to the December discussions on the same watch.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/98860...961%2Fm%2F8021080322

Really like the ones with the seconds at 9.

Take care all,
Evan

Posts: 19 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: September 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
On the same subject of Hamilton's war-time production I was struck by the similarity between a putative war-time rgp "Andrews" and a Longines.

Comparison picture

posted
This Hamilton IHC Member Rob Jones has on Ebay looks like another war time Cushion. It has the 986A movement without second hand. I lifted his picture...

IHC Life Member
posted
I'd have to say "no" to the example immediately above being a 1940s model - the lugs and bezel edges look more like a version of the original cushion. And it does not look as if the back is marked on the outside by Wadsworth, which is the identifier of the 1940s series.

Dan

posted
Dan

I saw that Longines the other day and I thought the exact same thing! Perhaps this might add a little extra info to why some a few Andrews cases have shown up in filled gold instead of solid??

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
I just recently picked up an original Cushion on eBay for very little. If you closely at the 2nd and 4th watches (from the left) in this picture you can see the difference in the size of the bottom lugs.

If anyone knows where I can get a new crystal for #4, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Evan
gatorcpa@gate.net

posted
Forgot to mention that the case number on my Cushion WWII is H312604. Two other differences I have noted:

1. The last 4 digits of the case number are not engraved on WWII case body like the originals.

2. Although both cases were made by Wadsworth, the style of the engraving inside the caseback is different on the WWII models. Mine is similar to those shown, except there is no "S" underneath and the serial number is curved. Like this:

Hope this helps,
Evan

IHC Life Member
posted
According to our resident expert Will Roseman, the outside of the back should be stamped by Wadsworth -- like this one ---

WWIi-backstamp

posted
Evan,

Just wanted to let you know the Square model you've got has a dial version not seen very often. Congrats for finding one as I'm still searching Wink.

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Tom,

What square dial are you seeking? I have a fairly extensive collection of dials. If I have the one you are seeking, I'd be happy to send it to you. I've greatly appreciated your Ebay/Hamilton data.

WJH

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Thank you Tom,

I've also not seen another dial exactly like it, but I have seen one with the opposite pattern (silver outside track and beige center) on this board somewhere.

My WWII Cushion has the outside engraving as well.

Take care,
Evan

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
John:

The "S" marking in the inside of the back case is indeed an indication that the watch is "vermeil." At the time that these watches were made, silver was less precious a metal than brass due to the need for brass used in the making of artillery casings. The vermeil Hamilton Cushions are amongst my favorite.

It's interesting how many have surfaced considering how few (comparatively) were made. I've thought a lot about their survival rate and the generally "good" condition that they are typically found in. I think this may be because they are newer, naturally - but also because earlier collectors thinking that they were early Cushions in very fine condition may have held on to them. The several that I have in my collection are pristine examples. In fact, they are significantly nicer than other Hamilton's contemporary to the same time period which tells me that they may have prematurely been pulled from usage. Additionally, the Cushion was considered an "old style" by the time the War had begun and they typically contained "out-dated" movements, but consumers recognized that it was the only watch that could be bought new at the time. Once the War ended and Hamilton went back into normal production, consumers likely ditched their "old fashioned" Cushions for the new and more exciting post-War styles - thus, many never had the oppurtunity for much wearing and subsequently, little if any brassing exposure.

Just my thought for what they're worth.

Kindest regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
John:

I forgot to mention that the Cushion that appeared on E-Bay and noted in your post is not likely a War Cushion. The case back is not posted "Wadsworth" and the style seems a bit different. It would be better if we could look inside the back of the case to see the markings - that would clear up any confusion.

But please keep in mind that Hamilton made three generations of Cushions (not including the "O" Sized Cushion and the Cushion Form Opening) - the early 1922 Cushion (1922 - 1926) which contained the 986, 986A and on the rare occasion, the 987; the Cushion "B" (1930 - 1934) which is the most similar to the War-time Cushion and of course, the topic of our conversion, the War-time Cushion. There's plenty of room for confusion with all these Cushions about and we should be careful when we are purchasing a Cushion to make sure we are actually buying what we intend to buy.

Kindest regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
quote:
Tom,

What square dial are you seeking? I have a fairly extensive collection of dials. If I have the one you are seeking, I'd be happy to send it to you. I've greatly appreciated your Ebay/Hamilton data.

WJH

Bill,
I'm always on the prowl for any of these dials:

posted
Tom -

Thanks very much for posting the picture with the various dial styles. It's now safely saved in my Photobucket documentation.

Take care,
Evan