Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines watch identification query "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Hi. A friend of mine received a watch. I wondered if anyone could identify the caliber or type of watch.

He doesn't know how to open the back, so I only have photos of the case, dial and band.

The size of the watch, including case, is 34 mm and was described as a "gold watch."

If anyone recognizes the type from the picture, I'd appreciate the information.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
This is the front of the watch with dial.

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Jessica,

tell your friend I don't believe the back on this paticular watch opens. I have a similar styled vintage 14K Omega (c. 1960's.) The movement can be taken out only after the crystal has been removed and the stem taken out.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
That's interesting, Dave. The watch is from the 1950's, which I meant to mention.

I've looked through the Longines book and on ebay, and don't see any cases like this.

Do you think the case is an after-manufacture decision, so that the movement could be one of the standard ones, possibly shown (in the books) in a different style case?

Jessica

posted
Jessica, These cases were common in the 50's and 60's. The advent of good quality plastic crystals made them possible. I have a Hamilton, Elgin, Longines, and a Bulova in this type of case. As DAve said, the movement comes out through the front. The plastic crystal is removed with a crystal suppressor. The stem is a split stem that allows the crown to snap free. Then you drop the movement into your hand. To reassemble--drop in the movement, snap in the stem, and reinsert the crystal. One should not try this without a crystal suppressor.

Tom

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
The movement most certainly comes out from the front as Tom and Dave have said. I would place this watch in the later 1960s. I doubt it would be 1950s. This type of band arrangement was typical of the mid to late 60's and was used in the 70s as well. I can't tell if the watch is an automatic or wind up so I can only guess at the movement. Since I don't like guessing I won't.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Hi, Rich.

After looking at ebay for quite a while, I also concluded that the movement might be fromthe 1960's, based on the look of the outside.

I also wonder if it could be automatic, since the only watches with those dials that I noticed were automatic. The owner said manual--or at least didn't disagree when I asked him--so I'm not sure. Maybe he only meant not quartz.

I may check with him further. However, I'm sure he wouldn't want to go into taking off the crystal, etc.

Thanks, Jessica