Tools
Reply to Post

GUESS THE PRICE OF THIS WATCH... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

GUESS THE PRICE OF THIS WATCH...

I'm often amazed at the prices of certain wristwatches. Often they are far more or far less than I would expect. Just for fun, now don't look it up or do a search before you guess. Is this a Blue Light Special or is it designed for Blue Bloods? Let's everyone guess at what the selling price is on the watch shown in the image below...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I say $125000.00

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

You say one hundred twenty five thousand Larry? Why so much?

Eek

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I'll take a S.W.A.G. -- the stones are cubic zirconia (at best) glued to plastic -- looks like one has fallen out already -- I'll say $100-200.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Well Lin, it's a Luminor Panerai, and even in the basic steel, they're very expensive. Over 5k I think. Unless this watch is a cheap knockoff, it's going to be big bucks

Larry

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Look it over very, very closely.

Big Grin

IHC Life Member
posted
One stone missing by the crown? It is fake then?

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Everyone who guesses, I'll send a link to the selling price.

But keep the result secret so we can have some fun.

Wink

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Panerai, oh yeah, VERY expensive make!

Probably austrian crystals, possibly czs, or just maybe diamonds?

Stingray band? Confused Roll Eyes

I'll say ten grand.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Lin,
This is a good one. I think Panerai's usually anywhere from 3.5 to 7.0K. if if was 18k probably from 10-12k.

But it looks like Stainless set with something CZ's or whatever, has screwin vs Just Lug pins.
Single face, no additional complications, no sweep sec hand.

Not sure what the hole is on lower portion of crown guard is.

T-Swiss Made-T (I think thats what I can see)
Appears to have luminous hands BUT, no lum markers.

I think this is a fake, but if not est 8,500. If it is a fake 250.00 if it has a decent movement.
At any rate it sure can't be more than a Ulysse Nardin Freak, LOl

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
$12.95 and if it's not, it should be.

Looks fake to me.

If not, $12,000.00. That's if it's what you guys say it is. I don't know the name at all.

I think the stone by the crown is just dark and not missing, but that also happens a lot with fakes. Real ones too, but a lot more with a fake.

I still say it should sell for $12.95 though.

Can you tell I just came here, after looking for a nice Fancy Ladies Watch? They all look like this one.

Why do they make even Ladies Diamond watches look like mens watches these days? pooooo!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I think that "missing" stone is actually not that, but is part of the lock-down winding crown mechanism. You can't have a diamond in that particular place.

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
posted
Panerai do a diamond bezel watch for around $12,000, so with these extra (but smaller diamonds) I would put this anywhere around $30,000. I'm sure it would depend on the quality of the diamonds. The other model I mentioned has around 48 diamonds on the bezel, but this one has far more (haven't managed to count them yet).

I have no gut feeling that this is a fake. Panerai does not turn up in fake versions very often. Having said that, with the current deluge of fake everything, nothing would surprise me.

If this is a one-off, I would expect it to fetch maybe $50k or even more. Panerai do limited editions, but not in this kind of watch, as far as I know.

I'm going for $30,000 ... maybe a tad more.

posted
Well, it may just be the picture, but the color of the metal makes me think fake. For a watch with that many real diamonds it should show as a white gold, or really nice in my way of thinking, and this isn't it to me.
Of course, I have no idea what this watch is supposed to look like soooooo........

These days they sell huge diamond watches in Stainless Steel!!!!!! go figure.....

I guess Lindell will have to tell us sooner or later.

Maybe it's just my old age showing here.
I think of a watch with that many diamonds to be for a woman, and it should be fancy, and pretty, and gorgeous, and delicate, and a WOMANS WATCH!!!!
(or is this just a big picture and really a small watch?)

But I bet you guys are right!!!!!!!!

Sheila

posted
Sheila,

I think it's a cultural thing, not really personal preference. In western culture it is not masculine to wear lots of diamonds, as we all know, but a wristwatch (especially just for evening dress) gives that wealthy extrovert male the chance to show off. This is definitely not a ladies' watch, and you might be surprised how big it is. Panerai have built many varieties on this basic model for many years now ... it's quite a trademark, especially the wind-lock that you see on this one.

posted
Glyn,
Oh, I think it's fine for a man to wear diamonds if he likes em!
I was just passing on my frustration at not finding a nice delicate watch for me hehehe

Actually this watch is very nice for someone that likes the style and all.

I think the watches today are UGLY, and the mens watches are terrible.

I like a real classy watch for a man and a woman.

It's the BIG CLUNKERS that I hate.
Now, if I was going to a biker show I would expect to see a Big Clunker watch.

A man looks great in a classy (even jeweled) watch that screams beautiful, and today I can't find one worth putting on my sweeties wrist.

Naturally, everyone has their favorites and I'm no different.
This watch should look wonderful on someone that loves it.

Just wish I could find one that says Russell.

I finally got curious and checked out this name and I was not impressed with them.
In the end, I guess it's just "To each his own"

If I'm going to pay that much for a watch I want it to SCREAM ELEGANCE and show WORKMANSHIP that TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY.

Although nice, this one does not say that to me.

Great information though, made me finally look too!
Thanks.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of Claude Girardin
posted
My guess is that it is a genuine stainless steel Panerai, with genuine diamonds. I would guess that the recommended retail price should be around USD 18'500.00.

In our Quaker mentality, this is a Ladies' watch, but nowadays, anything goes!

Posts: 168 | Location: Nidau-Biel/Bienne, Switzerland | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Well, Sheila, my guess at the price might be wrong. It might be a fake. Let's wait and see.

I have a 'Rolex' with 'diamonds'. It was a present from a girlfirend who had been on a trip to Penang, some years ago... psst... wanna buy a Rolex? Big Grin

Psst .. wanna buy a Rolex?

posted
Is it platinum?

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
never mind its not the right color, if it is stainless with real diamonds i am guessing 25,000?

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

This is a really fascinating subject, Page 2 already!

As promised I've eMailed a link to everyone who has participated thus far.

Soon we'll post the answer... one of the answers above is very close.

All of the opinions thus far are really great!

Lindell