Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois ww Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi All,
I know nothing about wristwatches so I need to ask about one of mine. I purchased it some time ago, and would like to know more.

Illinois Serial Number 5003733

Has the seconds hand at the 9:00 position, the movement is marked 15J, Springfield.

I have a program that says it's a grade 903, 6/0 made in 1928, but you know how that is, I'm not sure of the program I have, so can someone tell me if the information I have is correct?

I will post pictures as soon as I get a decent one to post.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
Your info is correct. 6/0s, 15 ruby jewels, open face, grade 903, made 1928.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Brian,

Thank you so much. My watch program is old, and I never used it, but thought I would give it a try. I really didn't know if any of the information was correct.

This is my Illinois, and I want to get it serviced so that I can wear it!!!! Eek Big Grin

I like the watch a lot and decided it's crazy to have them and not use them.

I always like larger watches anyway, so this one is great.

SN 5003733

Sheila

Illinois 5003733-w4

posted
Dial

Sheila

Illinois 5003733-w5w

posted
Movement

Sheila

Illinois 5003733-w

posted
Dial in case

Sheila

Illinois 5003733-w3

posted
Hi Sheila,
I sent an email to you offering my services.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very pretty and unusual design Sheila, I love the shape and I am sure Larry would do a nice job on servicing it. Brian is correct, your movement is indeed a 6/0-size from 1928 production. In the Illinois Grade Sheets there are many runs of the 15-Jewel Grade 903 like yours and for that matter the 17-Jewel 905 listed, they were clearly very popular movements and likely sold in a number of configurations.

Anything in rose gold catches my eye, this one is a beauty!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
I just love the unusual shape too, and I'm also quite taken with rose gold.

It's, no question, a man's watch, but I like it too much to just get it serviced, and not wear it myself.

Not only do I like the watch, but it sure helps with my being able to SEE the dial too.

Times, they are a changin! (especially my eyes)

Yep! This watch now goes to be serviced!

Sheila

posted
Fredric J. Friedberg wrote a great book all about Illinois wristwatches, titled The Illinois Watch, the Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company. It's worth looking that one up if you don't already have it.

Steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Sheila, a great old watch and one that you will enjoy wearing for years to come....

I am also sure that Larry will do a great job for you in the sevice department....I can't wait to see the results of his work for you....

Good luck and wear it with great pride, as I'm sure you will....

BTW, I, too, really like the rose gold....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Sheila

A lovely watch I really like watches that are out of the ordinary and this is certainly that.

Like you I wouldn't have the heart to sell it either.

Kind Regards

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
If you like 6/o Illinois wristwatches I would recommend buying up derelict movements to develop a good back up stock of setting parts. Material houses are likely no longer able to supply detent (setting) levers. IMHO 6/0 Illinois setting mechanisms were not particularly successful.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Jerry,
It goes out tomorrow and I will post it when I get it back, and yep, I do take great pride in all of my watches. It's nice to be on a board where everyone enjoys them.

Clive,
I have quite a few unusual watches, but I love any watch that's 50 years old or of a type that I remember when I was young.
Some do just jump out at you though huh? lolol

William,
Ya know, I did do that with a few of my watches,
(good back up stock)
but didn't think of it for a few of my wristwatches. Thank you for the reminder.

I'm more of a pocket watch collector, but I do have quite a few wrist watches. I better get out some of my wrist watches and see what I need.

Steve,
I checked out the book, and it's on the list.
Looks pretty good!

Sheila