Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Baylor watch history "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Does anyone know anything about Baylor watches? According to one person (Ray Christie of boomertime.com) Baylor was (and perhaps still is) a private label manufactured for Zale's Jewelers. Kathy Pritchard, in her dual-volume encyclopedia, says they were a sub-brand of Benrus. Anyone know anything about this? I've had a couple of Baylors in inventory -- a chronograph and a GMT watch. Both seemed to be pretty good quality. Good 17-jewel movements, all stainless steel cases, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Bruce,
over the years I've owned a couple of Baylor's myself. I think they were around about the same time as the Clinton and Kingston watch brands. They all seemed to be of reasonable quality, and I think may have competed against each other in the lower price ranges.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Bruce,

I checked my Baylor automatic. It's signed Wadsworth in a script like signature & SU1361 - both on the rotor. It has the letters AS in a shield with the #1361. UYN is also on the movement but I can't locate the manufacturer in the Cooksey Shugart book, page 635. Perhaps some master list of Swiss manfacturers would have the initials code. The inside of the case back cover is signed Brevet & Mantab Watch Corp - I have no way of knowing if this is all original or marriage.

My dad also has a Baylor - a 17 j automatic day/date signed Baylor Watch Co with the initials ZOA on the movement, an F in a shield with the # 4009 to the right. His case back says Baylor Watch Co, Switzerland.

I'm fairly new to the watch community & you may already know this info. In any event, I'm adding my 2 cents as an aid and contribution to you for your research.

Barbara

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Barbara,
The F stands for Font, and the AS stands for A. Schield. These are Swiss companies that manufacture the movements for Baylor.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hi Scott

I just had my first lesson on A. Schild with my Helbros watch last week. Smile

Okay . . . now I thought the F stood for Felsa - page 86 in C Shugart 2005 guide.

What other reference should I be using? Why do we have 2 different explanations for the F in the shield?

Thanks. Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
It probably is "Font". Alot of ppl get "Font", "Felsa", and "Fleurier" mixed up.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The following is from the Bestfit Encyclopedia of Watch Materials -

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Jerry has just done a much better job of explaining "graphically" what I meant. Hehe, it's easy to get them mixed up. Big Grin

Anyways, the bestfit encyclopedia is the best resource I know of to identify marks on swiss and other watches made after about 1940.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004