• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Engraved Hamilton Barrel With Boxes "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here's a MINT original 14k gf engraved barrel I found locally and cheap last week. It has both boxes with all matching numbers.

Posts: 77 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 21, 2005
posted
Another picture.

Posts: 77 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 21, 2005
posted
Outer box.

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
What a great find - congrats!

I recently acquired the same style Barrel as yours. I bought it because I am working on acquiring the Hamilton geometric named watches from the 20's.

Now, I find myself wanting to wear the watch more and more. Great style

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Jay,

This is magnificent. I rarely see the early Hamilton's with BOTH boxes. This is just too cool.

The condition of the case looks fantastic. Often the gold filled barrels have very observable wear. This one is really spectacular.

I too am a fan of the geometric named watches. I greatly appreciate the fact that soon after Hamilton produced the "Square, Oval, Tonneau" etc., they named the watches, making it easier for those afflicted with this condition to quickly identify the watch.

As a point of curiosity, what geometric named watches are you seeking, and do you seek out gold filled? Solid Gold? Plain Bezel? Engraved Bezel? All?!

I'm a huge fan of the geometric named watches, and currently have an example of the following:

14K green gold engraved oval
14K two tone square, plain bezel
14K two tone square, engraved bezel
14K two tone barrel, plain bezel
14K two tone square B, plain bezel
14K white gold tonneau
18K white gold Rectangular, engraved bezel.

I don't yet have an example of the barrel B, and I had, but sold most of my examples of the cushion, because of the small size.

The rectangular is particularly difficult to find, althought the ovals are not easy either.

You made a fantastic find. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I love the topic.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Bill

I have an example of each one with the exception of the Square and of course, the Rectangle. I have not ventured into the B's as of yet.

I prefer the engraved models, of the geometric I own , all are engraved except for the Oval. At some point, I would love an engraved Oval.

I will probably search out the plain models as well. Isn't that the way , if you are a collector, you always want the one you do not have.

I have pretty much been sticking to the gold fill, I am sure I will venture into the solid gold at some point and sell off the gold fill version

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jay what a beautiful watch and the original boxes WOW what a find.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Movement and back.