Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Bradford ... Clarification? "Click" to Login or Register 
<Alan Vorwerck>
posted
I'm about to begin bidding on a Hamilton watch on fleabay ... but before I spend my hard earned money I'd like some clarification. In my many travels around the various forums I somewhere got the impression the 50's and later Hamilton's did NOT have any serial number associated with them, in any way. Is that correct? Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

The watch in question is showing the following image ...

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Alan:

Indeed, all Hamilton's contained serial numbers that were typically placed in the inside back cover of the case. The serial number you posted refers to the case serial number and has no correlation to the movement serial number which is located on the movement itself.

The movement serial number, providing it is the original movement, is the best indication of the date of your watch. There are many sites that contain the various serial numbers for Hamilton's and their subsequent corresponding dates.

Regards,

Will
PS - Here you can find some Hamilton serial numbers for their movements made up to 1936 by clicking on the link below:
http://www.vintagewatch.info/Movements.htm

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hamilton stopped placing serial numbers on its movements around 1957. Most, if not all, Hamilton movements made after that time will not have serial numbers.

The cases continued to have serial numbers after that date.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004