Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Watch! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Hate to toot my own horn here but I've finally completed a wristwatch that I have been working on for over a year now. I designed it from the ground up, using the fashionable Unitas 6497. The dial is rose-engine turned...

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Another view...

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Dial at 20x magnification. The brass colors are reflections. The dial is fine silver...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting Frank!

Rarely does the dial steal the show from the movement, but yours is spectacular!

Looking at those winding wheels I get the impression that same process could be used to resurface old wheels. Is that a viable alternative to the grungy wheels we find on some older watches?

Again, thanks for sharing your amazing wristwatch!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Lindell,

Yes, you could/can do rose-engine turning on old "grungy" wheels. The only impediments are:

1. You have to have one of these machines (20k min. for a good working one).
2. You have to make a chuck for each different diameter size of wheel (you can do two different diameter sizes/chuck, but each chuck still costs ~$100).
3. Need someone highly skilled!

Actually you can do simpler designs/patterns using a straight-line machine and you can play that game for under 3k, you still need reqs. two and three though. Big Grin

Best regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

posted
Frank,

Sometimes you just have to hoot your own horn!

A very unique looking watch dial. What inspired you to tackle such a project?

posted
Frank,
Very nice! Congratulations,
Pete B.

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Phil,

Besides being a watchmaker I'm also a watch producer/manufacturer (i.e., I have my own line of watches). I got a special order for this type of dial and found out it wasn't much more to have ten made than it was one, so I ordered them, all in slightly different patterns. This is the one I'm keeping for myself. Big Grin

I deleted the "bad" pic of the movement. Here's a better pic of the movement uncased with slightly different patterns on the wheels...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...just magnificent Frank!...magnificent!...Bravo!!!

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Frank thats a great looking watch,you go ahead and toot your horn you have something to be proud of..
Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Glyn,

Someday I'll tell the whole story. I already did at my local chapter meeting last month. There's a synopsis if you want to look in the April Bulletin under Chapter 21 in Colorado.

I gotta tell you guys, this watch is a chick magnet! Hey, no offense to the gals. Stop reading now...

Today the teenage girl at the drive-up at McDonalds saw my watch when I was paying and told me she got off at 9:00 P.M. and to come pick her up so she could look at the watch up close!

Then... the bank teller saw the watch, gasped, and asked to try it on (had to go get some money to pay off Ed). She asked how much it cost, gasped again, then asked if there was anything she could do to get a "discount". I told her I only make them, she would have to talk to the distributor about the discount.

Well, I'm a happy married man, but for you single guys that are having trouble getting dates...

Frank "407" Kusumoto

P.S.- Thanks for all the other kind words above. Smile Big Grin Smile
Next up is having the movement engraved to match the dial.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Serial numbers are on the side of the case. The silver engraved dialed watches will be #7, #14, #21, #28. The one that I'm wearing is similiar to #7.

Best Regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Extraordinary

Thank you so much for starting this tread, and sharing this art.

I make a sensational Ceasar Salad, but.....

....a watch?! This is really fantasitc.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Frank, maybe you should visit your lawyer or doctor, or, well, the Miss USA Pageant--see if the watch works bigtime.

Even if you're happily married, it could be a selling point. (Not that your spectacular watch needs one.)

Congratulations.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats on your new watch Frank! Really cool and stunning. Are these offered commercially yet?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Yep Ed, they are offered commercially. Next up is to make a dial for the the 992B in rose-engine turned silver. Now wouldn't that blow someones mind! Big Grin

Frank "407" Kusumoto