• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wristwatch Information? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I acquired 2 wrist watches.I think they are good ones worth repairing but would like a opinion.Watch one is a Birks eterna- matic with bracelet in dirty but fixable shape.I saw on the movement Brevet.It has no date window and has minute and hour hand it is running now.
Watch 2 is a Longines with original crown , i looked and it says Longines on it.Dial is shot hands are good.Movement runs a 17 jewel movement.
If a picture would help alot more let me know and i can post one.
I am a pocket watch guy and wristies are new to me.
Thanks for all help.
Smile
Here are a few pictures of the two watches.The Longines has a low serial number i am thinking maybe this one from around 1930,s, but someone probaly could tell me.

watch1

posted
picture 2

watch2

posted
picture 3

watch3

posted
picture 4

watch4

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Kevin,

It appears the Eterna-Matic is missing the Sweep Second hand and the Rotor is also missing( Probably will run if it has a hand wound capability)The movement is probably in the Eterna.Matic 1400 series but I am no expert. Birks is a high end Canadian jewelry retailer as far as I know, and mfg nothing. They may private label watches

A very nice vintage Eterna.Matic should be obtainable for anywhere from $50-$150 depending on case and who really wants one.

Eterna S.A is still in business and was founded 148 years ago. F.A. Porche now owns them so maybe somebody can help with more info.

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Hi Jim, i did not know it had a second hand.
It runs well have worn it for 2 days almost, has not lost or gained time.I took the photo with the rotor off.The screw holding it came out, so a easy fix to put back on.
I saw a Eterna matic on the internet for 600 us.
I have no idea as to the price is high or not.
All in all not a bad watch.
I just need to get the Longines in order now.
And finish the eterna with a seconds hand and crystal replacement.
Smile

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Kevin,

The best judge of price is condition, rarity, soft factors, and most important of all is "Who really is in the market for one at the time you want to sell it?" LOL
I have a few pieces I have put WAAAAY to much $$$ in in comparison to the street value of the piece. I am in the process of restoring a Tissot, Longines auto 990 and fixing a Cyma 21 jewel auto. In these cases I will probably be ok.
In a few cases I really over saturated the issue.
If you can do your own work, of course you are better off, or have reasonable sources whicj I am developing.

Of course I like to chalk up my first few times out of the gate as NEWBIE blunders.Now,others may just classify it as stupidity, the problem is they would probably be right,LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Hi Jim, Not to worry about what you might have spent. I think all of us have done that in the early going. I have been dong this for 50 years with pocket watchs and seriously for 35-40 years. I know that I paid way too much for some pieces in the beginning and put way too much into them for repair. The plus side is that I still have some of these watches, and with inflation and collector interest, these are now in the price range to get my money back. One just has to wait about 30 years for it to happen (lol).

Tom

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Hubie,

I know you have a valid point. I was accessing my collections the other day. I have a philosphy I only really want to collect what I wear. I wear everything I own. I have NEW watches in the box and for various reasons will never wear them. There a a few pieces I would never sell, worn or not, BUT a few of these have to go.

So, I am about to start liquidating some of these pieces.Then will reinvest some of those dollars in another few pieces I will wear. I think I need a new D.Freemont to start off with like an auto Panama.,LOL

posted
Can anyone see what the number is over the serial number.I get 9889410.
I need to give this number to the people at Longines to help identify this watch.
I do not know how to zoom in on the image.
Thanks again.
Smile

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Kevin,
Your Longines is Caliber 12.68Z which the model number of the movement. The other number in the 9 million range indicates the watch was made in 1953.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003