Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Men's or Women's watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I recently acquired this 6/0 Waltham and assumed that it was a woman's watch based on the narrow band and the vintage (pre-WWI). However, I also found this 1914 Elgin ad (scroll to the right) that would imply an attempt to market wristwatches to men before the great war de-sissified them. So, is my Waltham a man's or a woman's watch?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Interesting Jerry,

Looks like you may have an "outdoors" and "racing car driver" men's watch. Just as you did I always assumed these dainty looking by today's standard watches in my collection were for ladies. (Since you and I both like them does that mean they are unisex watches? Big Grin) But seriously the ad does clearly say "0-size" so perhaps the 0-size were for men and the 6/0 like yours were intended for ladies? That narrow strap still looks lady-like regardless of the watch it is used on.

Thanks for sharing your watch and the ad!

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002