Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keep checking those small antique stores.... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Before anyone asks, no, I do not own a digital camera.. Roll Eyes...so with that out of the way, my wife and I stopped by a small antique store in Kentucky on our way back from visiting my Mom in Ohio yesterday. There was a 'white elephant' table with all kinds of items piled on it for next to nothing. In the middle of the pile I found a viturally brand new Elgin 'Deluxe' wrist watch, 10k gold filled case, perfect original expansible band, and an engraved dedication on the back from 1947. It gave the crown a twist, and it started right up, and is STILL running and actually keeping pretty fair time! It's heading down to Chris Abell for a COA in the next day or so.

Other than scratches on the crystal from storage, it's in fine shape, and looking at the back with my loupe appears to have never been opened!

I'm still debating on whether or not to do the deed, or wait for Chris to have those honors, as Lindell and Chris can BOTH attest to my WONDERFUL light touch opening watch cases! Wink...but I'm guessing I have at least a 17j Elgin movement in there, as that seemed to be the standard jewel count in these '40's Deluxe models.

How much did it cost me? $3.00. Yep, 3 bucks....so keep your eyes open! They're out there waiting for you to discover them!! Big Grin

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark, A couple of years ago, I got my LeCoultre Alarm watch at a like antique store. It was in a junk box marked "Anthing in the box for a dime".

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Fabulous finds gents. It is the stuff dreams are made of.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002