Internet Horology Club 185
Omega hand made watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/79010889

June 02, 2009, 19:30
Chris Abell
Omega hand made watch
Recently found while out of state on a trip this very interesting watch arrived in very poor shape. so having a few hours to spare this weekend set about cleaning it and getting the movement working again. It’s a Omega 23.7 ST1 approx 1926-1930, the case & dial appears to have been hand made even the matching buckle, hand sewn/made strap (anyone know the skin used?) if I am correct in my “hand made” statement, such craftsmanship is not common and should be attributed to a individual. Can anyone tell me what I have, year, possible maker? etc any other examples out there? or even similar

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
June 02, 2009, 19:31
Chris Abell

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
Chris Abell

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
Chris Abell

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
June 02, 2009, 19:32
Chris Abell

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
June 02, 2009, 19:36
Tom Brown
Chris

Sure looks like Mexico silver, I would bet someone had this made down in Mexico, the symbols used are common on a lot of Mexico silver, they are either Inca or Aztec, I can't remember right now off the top of my head.

Do you see any silver stamp marks?

Tom
June 02, 2009, 19:46
Chris Abell
Hi Tom,

There are no marking at all that I can find, a close look and you can see its all hand made by a very skilled artisan indeed.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
June 02, 2009, 19:58
Tom Brown
It is nice looking, I have always like Mexico silver, I have a few things that were made there. The craftsman there always had a real talent for making jewelery, I remember as a kid we use to make trips down south of the border to get things made, we would also get hand made boots at the same time.

I am just guessing but the skin looks like perhaps some type of snake skin, but that is just a guess.

Tom
June 02, 2009, 20:04
Tom Brown
I think the symbols are Aztec, I can't make out the details in the calendar on your band but it looks like it might be the Aztec calendar.

Tom

aztec

June 02, 2009, 20:06
Mary Ann Scott
Chris - I agree with Tom that it is probably made in Mexico. The symbolism used is often found on items made there. The craftsmanship is very good!
I really like it!

I'm not sure about what the band is made of. Embossed leather?

There is something on the back of the left panel shown. Is that a mark?
June 02, 2009, 21:14
Lindell V. Riddle

Beautiful Art-Deco Period Aztec-Influenced Hand Workmanship.

Absolutely Beautiful... Strap is Hand-Woven.

This is One-Of-A-Kind.

Wink

June 02, 2009, 22:33
Mitch Markovitz
I had a look at this watch a few hours ago on Chris's website.

The design of the dial itself has its roots in the late 1920s. The numerals are strictly from the dawn of the deco-moderne era of design. The piece has to have about 70 hours of hand work. It has that "Flash Gordon" look about it.
June 03, 2009, 04:56
Roy New
Very nice, Chris!

Strap looks like 'snake' to me.

Very, very unusual.

Roy.
June 03, 2009, 06:46
Phillip Sanchez
Very nice, Chris. I assume it is going to be for sale. Wink
Since when did you have any spare time? Big Grin
June 03, 2009, 07:23
Chris Abell
Phil,

That’s the problem I don’t have any and doing a few of my own late in the evening to fill my web site up a little. I do not have any knowledge of the American art side, and have asked a few arts experts, most without prompt place it in a 1920-30s Overnight I asked some people in Europe who also without prompt identified a interesting watch/art from the 30s as I say all I can do is confirm the movement is correct for year.
As always, can anyone show me more examples, if the movement is original to the watch from new it’s a higher end choice of movement and without doubt hand made case, a great deal of work would not like to pay to have one made.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
June 03, 2009, 08:13
Tom Brown
Chris

It may be one of a kind, I live next to the Navajo Reservation & there are thousands of Silversmiths around here, most that work out of their homes. I have had one of a kind jewelery made by different Silversmiths. I just take them a drawing of what I want & they make it. It is always amazing to me how little they charge for a one of a kind piece.

Tom
June 03, 2009, 11:33
Jerry King
Without a doubt, it is Mexican jewelery and also a one of a kind unto itself....The artisan that created it, probably for an individual such as Tom has suggested having things made for himelf.... and trying to locate this pieces' origin is going to be difficult at best....

My guess is that it probably came from Arizona or New Mexico or even Mexico itself....

If a famous or well known silversmith made it, it will be easier to identify, but if an unknown artisan made it....well next to impossible....

The date of the Omega may or may not have any bearing on when the case and band were made....

In which state did you pick the item up, Chris...?

This is going to be a very interesting string if followed all the way to it's natural conclusion....

Regards,
Jerry