Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega hand made watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Recently found while out of state on a trip this very interesting watch arrived in very poor shape. so having a few hours to spare this weekend set about cleaning it and getting the movement working again. It’s a Omega 23.7 ST1 approx 1926-1930, the case & dial appears to have been hand made even the matching buckle, hand sewn/made strap (anyone know the skin used?) if I am correct in my “hand made” statement, such craftsmanship is not common and should be attributed to a individual. Can anyone tell me what I have, year, possible maker? etc any other examples out there? or even similar

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Chris

Sure looks like Mexico silver, I would bet someone had this made down in Mexico, the symbols used are common on a lot of Mexico silver, they are either Inca or Aztec, I can't remember right now off the top of my head.

Do you see any silver stamp marks?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom,

There are no marking at all that I can find, a close look and you can see its all hand made by a very skilled artisan indeed.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It is nice looking, I have always like Mexico silver, I have a few things that were made there. The craftsman there always had a real talent for making jewelery, I remember as a kid we use to make trips down south of the border to get things made, we would also get hand made boots at the same time.

I am just guessing but the skin looks like perhaps some type of snake skin, but that is just a guess.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I think the symbols are Aztec, I can't make out the details in the calendar on your band but it looks like it might be the Aztec calendar.

Tom

aztec

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Chris - I agree with Tom that it is probably made in Mexico. The symbolism used is often found on items made there. The craftsmanship is very good!
I really like it!

I'm not sure about what the band is made of. Embossed leather?

There is something on the back of the left panel shown. Is that a mark?

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Beautiful Art-Deco Period Aztec-Influenced Hand Workmanship.

Absolutely Beautiful... Strap is Hand-Woven.

This is One-Of-A-Kind.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
I had a look at this watch a few hours ago on Chris's website.

The design of the dial itself has its roots in the late 1920s. The numerals are strictly from the dawn of the deco-moderne era of design. The piece has to have about 70 hours of hand work. It has that "Flash Gordon" look about it.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very nice, Chris!

Strap looks like 'snake' to me.

Very, very unusual.

Roy.

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Very nice, Chris. I assume it is going to be for sale. Wink
Since when did you have any spare time? Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Phil,

That’s the problem I don’t have any and doing a few of my own late in the evening to fill my web site up a little. I do not have any knowledge of the American art side, and have asked a few arts experts, most without prompt place it in a 1920-30s Overnight I asked some people in Europe who also without prompt identified a interesting watch/art from the 30s as I say all I can do is confirm the movement is correct for year.
As always, can anyone show me more examples, if the movement is original to the watch from new it’s a higher end choice of movement and without doubt hand made case, a great deal of work would not like to pay to have one made.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Chris

It may be one of a kind, I live next to the Navajo Reservation & there are thousands of Silversmiths around here, most that work out of their homes. I have had one of a kind jewelery made by different Silversmiths. I just take them a drawing of what I want & they make it. It is always amazing to me how little they charge for a one of a kind piece.

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Without a doubt, it is Mexican jewelery and also a one of a kind unto itself....The artisan that created it, probably for an individual such as Tom has suggested having things made for himelf.... and trying to locate this pieces' origin is going to be difficult at best....

My guess is that it probably came from Arizona or New Mexico or even Mexico itself....

If a famous or well known silversmith made it, it will be easier to identify, but if an unknown artisan made it....well next to impossible....

The date of the Omega may or may not have any bearing on when the case and band were made....

In which state did you pick the item up, Chris...?

This is going to be a very interesting string if followed all the way to it's natural conclusion....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008