Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham WW "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi all, I just got this Waltham. The case is rough, but the porcelain dial and damascened movement are great. Can someone venture an estimate of age?

Dial

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
mvmt

mvmt

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Just by the appearance I would venture immediate pre-WWI era, but I'm sure one could look up the serial number of the movement, no?

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
You are right Adam. There is a Waltham database and it says this is model 1907. That means that the watch was introduced in 1907. They had a production run of 10,000 of which mine was near the end.

You were also right about this being pre WWI.

Thanks and regards, Jim

posted
Is there a name and indication of case material on the inside of the back? It looks a lot like those re-cased movements from the 1920-s and 1930's.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Looks like chrome plated base metal. Hamilton made similar in 1917, when wristwatches at last became acceptable for a man to wear.

The movement could be a negative set ex-ladies PW movement.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi John & Dan, Here is all of the info from the database. The footnotes say that the model number is the year the watch went into production. Did ladies pocket watches ever get as small as 0s? and would they have had the pendant at 3 or 12?

John, the inside back cover say's "Illinois Watch Case Co. Spartan - 0607050" It does look like chrome plated base metal.

First: 15715501 Last: 15725500
Model: 1907
Material: U Grade: No. 161,
Size: 0
Jewelling: Jewels: 7
Balance: Bal: Breguet Spring
Style: HC Style:
Htg.

Hope this info helps you guys to identify it better.

Thanks, Jim

posted
0 size was the most common size for women's watches. They were both open face and hunter movements and cases.

Your movement dates about 1908.

Many of the watch companies over produced woman's size 0 and 3/0 movements in the 1910 era. When men's wristwatches became acceptable in WWI, many women's movements were cased or recased in men's wristwatches. One way to identify your case is to send a picture to research@nawcc.org with your membership number. We can try to find it in the jewelry supply catalogs of that era. No gurantee, but it is worth a shot.

We do know that this type of circular cushion case was popular during the WWI and post WWI era. Hamilton introduced their first wristwatches in a similar case in 1916. (They reused this style of case in WWII, but with a smaller movement).

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi Donald, Thanks for all that good information. I'll take you up on that research offer. You will have that request (and a few others) on Monday morning.

Best regards, Jim