Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Was wondering.... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I've seen military wristwatches, chronometers, and many wired lugged wristwatches with the color red for the number 12 on dial. Can someone tell us why? I'm sure there's some reasoning behind that. Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Stepahanie,
I'm not sure myself what the origins or significance are of the "RED 12" on WWI vintage wristwatches. But here's a picture of a solid silver one I've got which has a "BLUE 12" and a differently shaped front bezel. It's the only one I've ever seen with this type of marking.

Wed. 23rd Update: - Before anyone asks if it's for sale. I'm sorry but it's already spoken for. Razz

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Stephanie:
I had read something years ago that the reason the twelve is high lighted has a military origin.If I remember right the Twelve was high lighted to give you a reference point for the proper position of the dial if you were to strap it on in low light conditions.I suppose that would keep you from mistaking the twelve for a six if you had to rendezvous at an appointed time.
I don't know if there is any validity to this story but I guess it'll have to do until a better one comes along.
Sincerely,Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Omega did pocket watches with number 12 in red. Those ones are a bit more collectible then the usual dials. Please correct me if I´m wrong but I have been told that these were ment as a anniversary for something that I´m not aware of. These suppose to appear between sn 4 500 000 and 5 000 000. I´m not shore about this but this is what I´ve been told.
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Dave,
Very nice example! Can you tell us more about your wristwatch? Wondering what "blue 12" represents?

Robert F.,
Thanks for your interpretation of "red 12". Makes sense.

Hi Bernhard,
Interesting info. you added. I've seen a few "red 12" dials on Longine wws as well.

If anyone has added info he/she would like to share, feel free. Maybe we can get this thread going by showing pictures of "red 12" and "blue 12"(if lucky) dials in your collection!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003