• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin porcelain 3/0 dial Hebrew numerals "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I purchased quite a few porcelain dials from S. LaRose a few years ago. In a group of dials I bought were a couple of these dials in 3/0 size. Thought the members would like to see an Elgin dial with Hebrew numerals.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Ernest thats a interresting dial was these used on watches shipped outside the states. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That is an interesting variation. I have also seen a few Elgin dials with Japanese numbers on them. It might have been a marketing idea which might have never got off the ground. Maybe there are other types of Elgin ethnic dials around - such as one for the Arab market?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Slightly related to the Elgin, when I was 7 and went to Israel with my grandparents and the rest of my immediate family, as a parting gift, my granddad bought this watch for me at the duty free shop at Lod (Ben Gurion) Airport. I've had it ever since. I never really wear it anymore (not really my style now, and the rhodium plating is going), but I did have it serviced recently.

By the way, it cost $17.50 at the time. That was in 1971.

Another by the way: I just took out the watch to examine it and set/wind it. After 35+ years, the luminous still glows brightly after exposure to light (like Luminova, though it has to be tritium, right?)...

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Another view.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
One more. Notice the menorah on the case back.