Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An American Made bumper automatic "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Bet you thought all bumper automatics were Swiss made. Elgin made this one in 1951.This is the first one I have worked on and I was surprised how well made it is. The auto-wind weight moves back and forth more smoothly than most bumpers. Believe it or not it is as smooth as the beast I have worked on, Omega, Lecoultre, Mido and so on.
From what I have been able to find out it looks as if Elgin only made one run 37,000 of this 18 jewel 618. For 1951 this is a pretty advanced American made movement that includes Inca bloc settings for the balance. The weight for the auto-wind is jeweled on both sides.
Elgin is the only American manufacturer to produce an automatic domestically.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
If anyone can add to or correct the information I have found I would most appreciate it. I think this one will be destined for the Elgin Museum

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

posted
Rich, I have one that has the exact same case as yours. My dial is slightly different--dots in place of the odd numbers. I got mine about 25 years ago. I knew what it was at the time, and I kept it because of its status as the only American made automatic.

Tom

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice looking watch Rich Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hello Rich

Really great looking Elgin you have there. If you are keeping track of them here is one from my projects drawer but with a 24 hour dial .I found it in a parking lot,must have been really nice before it got hit but it still works.

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
And the movement

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very nice Elgin 'Bumper', Rich.

Anthony, like the 24 hour dial. Bring it back and post when you have cleaned up and serviced. (A super find!)

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Rich,
Very interesting info regarding the only American made automatic. I learn something new almost everyday when I come to the 185 site. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Rich

Very interesting watch as well as a bit of history.

It would make a great addition to the Elgin Museum if you decide in that direction.

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004