• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

hamilton ygf cushion engraved "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
the inexorable march into hammy-madness continues. i realize the watches i post are not particularly rare, thus the seasoned hamilton collectors won't find too much interest in them. but for a novice like me, they're pretty cool. i recently picked up a lot of hamilton dials and ended up with several versions of the cushion. i recall reading a post concerning the rarity of some of the dial models. are there records indicating production of these dials, or do we base the claim of rarity on how often we see them?

'rare' is a funny word on ebay. kinda like 'art deco'.

Posts: 39 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2007
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hamilton produced over 50,000 examples of all varieties the Cushion Form wristwatch (solid gold, gold-fill, plain bezel, engraved bezel, etc.), and offered at least 7 different dial options.

I haven't seen any breakdown of how many of each dial were ultimately produced, but based on empirical evidence, I think this is actually one of the more common varieties of the 7 offered, probably 2nd or 3rd most common. Nevertheless, it seems to be one of the more popular and desirable options today, probably based on the unusual style of the numerals. It is one of my favorite Hamilton dials.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I too love the dial. There is a cure for Hamilton obsession, but why?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Hamilton obsession??

"Problem, what problem?" Smile

I like this particular dial because it seems to make the relatively smallish Cushion appear larger. I think this is because the "exploding radial" effect pushes the rather large numbers to the outer edge near the number track, so the inside of the dial is white but the bulk of the color is near the outer dial limit.

To me this is also why the Hamilton Tonneau is such a great watch -- because its typical dial makes the watch appear on the wrist much larger than it measures.

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
the lot contained several wonderful dials, including a perfect enamel example as well as the 04 and 05. (i hope i'm using the proper designation there)

i guess i'll just have to get more cushion cases to fit them to!

by the way, in my tonneau post, i jokingly blamed the members of this board for helping to fuel the fire of this hobby. but really, i don't think i would be nearly as interested without the kindness, help and interest all of you have shown.

thanks.

Posts: 39 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2007
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I have several extra tonneau dials (all refinished) if anyone is in need.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003