• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1972 Accutron 219 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The battery went dead and I put new one in , tapped watch and it started humming. Put back on, tightened and it stops working. Lossen back and it hums again. I didnt see anything wrong so I finally removed the gasket and turned it over, tightened back and so far it is working. What is the reason for this ? Was the gasket compressed enough that it touched the battery or something ?

John

Posts: 16 | Location: Minerva, Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard John,

I have been using, wearing and enjoying Accutrons for forty years.

They are wonderful watches but everything has to be fit together correctly for the watch to function properly. It is possible that something was not exactly right and flipping that gasket may or may not have been the answer. The fact you were able to pause, take a deep breath, disassemble and reassemble probably means all is well.

For you and others, here is more Accutron information...

ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Accutrons were capable of accuracy well within a minute a month then and now. They are also a great conversation piece, children especially are fascinated with the "hum" of the original Accutrons. They were Railroad Approved and traveled into outer space, Accutrons are an important part of our hobby and of our history as well.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell for the info. I too am in NE ohio. Do you service Accutrons? I have 11 in my collection nine 218 and two 219, all but two run. Im sure they all need serviceing.
John

Posts: 16 | Location: Minerva, Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2008