Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What The Heck Is This? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here's one I picked up, the likes I have never seen. The movement actually flips over to turn the watch into a bracelet? It turns kind of like a Muckle case. It has a 1 jewel battery movement and a compass on the watch band. Pic 4 shows the inside case back that is polished to a mirror finish. Has anyone ever seen one of these or know what it is?
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 2

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 3

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 4

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 5

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 6

posted
Brian,
please don't take offense, but I'm glad I haven't run across one of these myself. Wink

My guess would be that it's a kids watch and a promotional type of item which was given away with a comic book, a Boy Scouts magazine or maybe even something like a Big Mac Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Interesting & unusual novelty watch.

Would be interesting to know where it was made, the manufacturer, product associated with it, etc.

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Dave,
No offense taken. I'm glad I've never run across another one of these as well. I doubt very much that it was a give away or promotion by McDonald's or any other company, as the board would have been flooded with responses.

Barbara,
I think it's interesting too. That's why I posted it. Now, has anyone seen one of these or know what it is?
Brian C.

Picture of Allan Kangas
posted
Well......Andy Warhol in 1967-68 (?) directed a movie called 'Bike Boy'. I believe the last few scenes ended up in front of a Federal Court House.....The airplane may be symbolic.

Also, there is a well known street performer that calls himself 'Bike Boy'. Likes to wear a lot of red, white and blue. Perhaps he rides a Panther bike. At which point the plane is confusing.

And, there are numerous songs either titled or with reference to 'Bike Boy'. I love a good mystery....

Aude sapere

Posts: 14 | Location: Bedford, Texas USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Allan,
Best ideas sofar. Anyone else? Somebody must know something about this thing.
Brian C.

Picture of Allan Kangas
posted
....and, Cartier markets a line of watches called 'Panther'. NOthing like this of course.

Aude sapere

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Alan,
Nice work. This is a good mystery. I hope we can find a definite answer to this one.
Brian C.

posted
Allan & Brian,

Schwinn may well have had a bike called a Panther in the 1950's, but the watch we're discussing is much more recent than that. Anyway quartz watches weren't around at that time.

NOTE:- I worked at Timex from 1965-1968 and quartz watches weren't being made by them or for that matter by anyone else at this time. The 60's was the age of the electric watch. Then in 70's came the electronic, then the quartz/LED age etc. etc.
Discussions & development of watches using quartz technologies at Timex were in the very early stages around the late 1960's, if I remember correctly we had heard Seiko were also exploring quartz technologies. The first real types of quartz watches only started to show up around the early/mid 1970's. Throw away/give away/novelty types of quartz watches like the one shown above was probably made within the last few years.If I had to guess I'd say this one was probably made in China, and fairly recently also.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Dave, I agree it's not a quality watch. I think the one jewel movement was made in Japan. I just got hung up on this thing wondering what it is all about, and so far, nobody has said, yes, I've seen one of those before, they were made for?
For the record, I think Timex made one of the finest watches of all time. How many of them have you ever seen, worn out? Most of the time all they needed was a good c/o. That's my 75 cents worth. Hey, Why isn't there a cents sign on a keyboard? Smile
Brian C.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Alan,
You're right it's not like mine but it's similar. The watch on eBay has a flip-up cover. On mine, the whole movement revolves in the case frame, like a Muckle case. I still don't know what Bike Boy is, or what the plane and Panther symbolize.
Everyone seems to to be concerned about the watches worth. I don't think the watch is worth more than 10 bucks, I just wanted to know about it.
Brian C.
Click on your link and see my answer.

Picture of Allan Kangas
posted
Hey Brian,

I was curious also. I saw that Warhol movie years ago and it was the first thing I thought of wondering if there was a tie in. I also believe it was the first time that the term 'Bike Boy' entered the English lexicon. 'Bike Boy' had a guy riding around the country on his motorcycle. Do a google for Bike Boy directed by Warhol and read the synopsis and reviews. The panther and plane probably don't represent much and was just used as a face for the watch. The real imagery is in the phrase and eagle. Consider it a piece of pop culture possibly related to the movie understanding that through time the meaning has morphed into something else but still holds the essence. Gee, I sound like I'm still in college. Hope you don't mind me posting in the other forum. It gave me something to do while listening to the Bob Dylan thing on PBS.

Allan

Aude sapere

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Alan,
Heck, I don't mind you posting on the other forum, I think it was a good idea. I was gonna do the same thing myself. I think Jeff has come pretty close with the answer.
I'm wondering if Bike Boy isn't some kind of motorcycle leather company, as all the watches seem to have pretty good looking leather bands.
Thanks,
Brian C.

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Now, don't forget "Bobs Big Boy" they are an eatery in the midwest, they have great slab smoked bacon, not sure if they sell watches, but one never knows, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004