• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1916 Longines Tiffany Military Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This one was sent to me last week from the midwest.

IT is apparently a very very very early wristwatch..of the type often written about.. where early ladies watches were converted.

Interesting thing about this one is that it is dated 1918 and on the dust cover it has an inscription from a Mrs. McAvoy to a "Nat I Brown, Signal Corps, U.S. Army".

The lugs are clearly added on but the dial, inscription and ack engraving suggest that it was SOLD as a wrist watch. The serial number is for a Longines Tiffany from 1914-1915.

An odd duck and a very very early wrist conversion.

I have tried to find infor on the signal corpsman Brown to no avail.

Any comments?
Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
dust cover

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
pic

posted
front

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

VERY interesting item Jeff!

She sure bought an expensive watch for the lieutenant, aye?

Thanks for sharing it with us, we'll copy this to our "Military Timepieces Forum" as well.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Jeff,
as you know, very early wristwatches mostly came with wire lugs. I'd expect your watch originally came that way also. I have a solid gold man's watch also dated 1918 and it has wire lugs.

Somewhere along the way, I'd expect in the late 20's, the wire lugs on your watch were replaced with the type of lugs we're more familiar with today.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Yep, that's a really cool watch. I agree with Dave that it likely came with wire lugs originally.

I think you can request a limited amount of military records for an individual soldier from the US government, not sure of the process, but I'm sure you can get the forms on the web somewhere.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It looks to me as if it could have started out as a wristwatch, rather than as a conversion. What are the maker's marks in the case?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
If it started as a wrist watch that would be very cool and VERY early...it is signd Tiffany on the cuvette and the back of the case..

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I have worked on a few of those Longines movements. They are good watches. Jeff that is one cool watch and it does look like it started life as a wristwatch.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002