Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Bulova Accutron "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Dated 5-28-66, with the numbers 1401586. Owner does not want me to open the case, so just have a photo of the dial. Anyone have any information about this model? Thanks

Bulova

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Wayne,

Beautiful black-dial Accutron!

That is the serial number but I've not seen any reference lists on them as such. However, that sounds about right compared to some in my collection. The watch is dated by a letter and a number just below the serial number. The letter "M" is for the 1960s and the year of manufacture will follow. For example, "M4" would be 1964. In the 1970s of course the first letter was an "N" so they are easy to date.

Here is a web-site with not only a wealth of information on Accutrons but also about the man responsible for inventing this marvelous watch. Check it out and put it in your favorites...

http://members.aol.com/msaccutron/

Your friend's watch is a "Grade 214" which is the original design Accutron. The energy cell is easily changed from the back. I too would not remove the entire back unless it requires service. The introduction of the Accutron in 1960 changed timekeepers forever. They were are are wonderful watches. Every Accutron was guaranteed accurate to within a minute a month. They were RR Approved and even went into outer space.

Bulova Accutron 214 "M4" dates to 1964 and the energy cell is easily changed...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Lindell,
Thanks for the information, my friend was given the watch by his wife on their wedding day, 5-28-66. He put it in a desk drawer years ago, but today he indicated he is going to get it cleaned and a new energy cell installed, and start wearing it again...so another Accurton is back in service.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002