Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is This An Illinois "Pilot" Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
I am attaching a picture of an Illinois watch. It looks like the "pilot" watch, but not 100% sure. Anyone know for sure? Appreciated, thanks. Is this relatively rare and what is its value with this condition?

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
This watch is a "Canby" or "Rectangular" You can see different variations of it on page 115 of Fred Friedbergs Illinois Book.. The model you are thinking of is the same size but has a step case...

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Thanks for the reply. I do not have that book. Does it say or do you its value? Appreciated.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
The book mentions a value range of $125-375 for the Canby in white gold filled. It's apparently not especially rare.

Adam

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
They are common but you have a very nice one here... The problem is that these same cases were used for Waltham and Elgin.. Jewellers cased most of these watches... The Illinois variety fetches much more than the others and I have seen them go much higher than the book.. They are very popular today because they are much larger than most watches from that era.... Enjoy!!!

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
posted
Mark,

It is hard to tell from the angle of this photo, but I am not sure that this is a Canby. A typical Canby has a very pronounced rectangular-shaped case, and the lugs fairly this and straight. Are you sure that this is not a Large Square? (These were sometimes called a Stephen, if memory serves... I will look at Fred's book tonight to verify this and the size.) Either way, you have a nice watch.

Regards,

Rick

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005