• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega Automatic "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am new to the WW world. Any opinions on this one?

Blue Dial Seamaster

Any value estimates are appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This watch appears to have had the dial refinished. I am not aware of any blue dial day/date mens Omegas from the 50's. By the way I think the watch in question may possibly be from the 70's not the 50's. The watch certainly looks pretty good even although I think it's currently a bit overpriced. However having said this, please keep in mind, the value of any watch in the eyes of the buyer is usually governed by the following; (a) how attractive would it be on my wrist, (b) how badly do I want it and (c) can I Roll Eyes Eek Razz afford it.

Dave Freeman
NAWCC Member 112999
Chapter Smile124 Lone Star Member
Internet Horology Chapter Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I don't know very much about watches, but I'd speculate the one in the auction above probably left the factory looking more like the one in the image below:

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Steve,
thanks for the picture, I think you're spot on. By the way a give away on a lot of these redialed watches, is the over use of the COSC Certified Chronometer markings. Red Face

Dave Freeman
NAWCC Member 112999
Chapter Smile124 Lone Star Member
Internet Horology Chapter Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Dave,

You're right about the bogus chronometer markings, but curiously enough, the watch in the image above has a movement that's marked "Adjusted 5 Positions," etc. I think it's probably a "Frankenwatch," but I'm not absolutely certain.

The "Constellation" was typically Omega's entry into the chronometer market, and at the moment, I can't recall any "Seamaster" models that were certified chronometers. There's one shown in the Shugart book, but it's bogus too, complete with a 17j obviously non-chronometer grade movement.

Another give-away for redials is the fact they often lack the small print at the bottom, such as "Swiss," "T - Swiss - T," "Ra - Swiss - Ra," "Swiss Made," etc. Of course, the guy in the auction above fully discloses that the dial has been refinished, he just implies it's something special that's supposed to be that way.

I wonder if he meant: "Blooper?" Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

=================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Aaron, I have a watch like the one Steve has
pictured, It is my ever day watch. I bought it
about 15 years ago for I believe $65.00. The
2004 Watch Guide, page 976 values this watch
at $100.00 for average.
CDH

Cicero

Posts: 14 | Location: Arden, North Carolina USA | Registered: January 15, 2004